What is the fastest and most efficient way to study organic chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

London22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am feeling a bit discouraged with Organic Chem. Its been nearly 4 years since I've taken Orgo and I didn't do too great at it even back then. It is my worst science subject, probably because I only memorized things for short term gains.

I watched Chad's videos but am still feeling a bit lost. I figured maybe my next best route would be to do tons of practice problems on all the topics. If I vigorously did as many problems as possible and simultaneously studied while doing so, do you think I would have at-least built up a pretty solid understanding in about a week?
I don't want to spent TOO much time on it because I really want to hone down on physics for the OAT which is more looked at and has 10 more questions. (OAT is the same as DAT but with physics instead of perceptual)

Are there any books that can help you grasp everything Orgo in about a week or two?
I was looking into studyorgo.com but not sure how good that would be.

My current remaining resources are:
notes from Chad's videos, 3 Achiever tests, Cracking the OAT by Princeton Review, a couple Princeton Review tests for both OAT and DAT, the ADA sample tests for OAT and DAT

Members don't see this ad.

A book I used that gave a lot of practice was Dr. Romano's Organic Chemistry Odyssey. I liked it because it gave about 30-60 questions for each chapter of Ochem that you'd need to know for the DAT and it gave detailed solutions that help you grasp the concepts. Keep in mind that it doesn't teach you the material, instead it gives you a lot of practice with it (if thats what you're looking for).

Reactions: 2 users
I was about 10 or 12 years out from my Ochem class and ended up with a 24 - I used:
- Chads
- DAT Destroyer
- Mike's lectures from bootcamp
- Paul Young Ochem final reviews for practice

If you are having a hard time - watch Mike's videos and get a general understanding of the mechanisms. It will help you to predict the products. Make sure you do all the practice questions in Chads lectures, Mike's lectures, and if you have time do Paul Young's tests. Just be aware that some of the info may not be needed on your test.

There is also the ochem as a second language book that comes highly recommended from students that have used it.

Also, I found it helpful to write out the Destroyer reactions in the beginning of the book and the road maps in the answers.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Mike's BC videos are killer good, and can help you go through the material faster than other methods. If you're in dire need of help....

Organic Chemistry As a Second Language, 3e: First Semester Topics

Amazon product

The author is David Klein.
I didn't use this during my DAT because I didn't need it, but when I was taking orgo, this book was the only reason I was able to score sig higher than my peers and get an A.

Note: I am not smart, in fact I am very slow. But this book basically caters to those that need extra help and dumbs down the most advanced concepts into ideas you can understand. If youre struggling, try looking for a PDF online or buy it. It's online like 10 dollars

Mike's BC videos are killer good, and can help you go through the material faster than other methods. If you're in dire need of help....

Organic Chemistry As a Second Language, 3e: First Semester Topics

Amazon product

The author is David Klein.
I didn't use this during my DAT because I didn't need it, but when I was taking orgo, this book was the only reason I was able to score sig higher than my peers and get an A.

Note: I am not smart, in fact I am very slow. But this book basically caters to those that need extra help and dumbs down the most advanced concepts into ideas you can understand. If youre struggling, try looking for a PDF online or buy it. It's online like 10 dollars

Thanks so much. I had been thinking about purchasing this book but think I will now. I am trying to review Ochem in a week. Took a week off work to focus on Ochem and Physics for OAT.

I am feeling a bit discouraged with Organic Chem. Its been nearly 4 years since I've taken Orgo and I didn't do too great at it even back then. It is my worst science subject, probably because I only memorized things for short term gains.

I watched Chad's videos but am still feeling a bit lost. I figured maybe my next best route would be to do tons of practice problems on all the topics. If I vigorously did as many problems as possible and simultaneously studied while doing so, do you think I would have at-least built up a pretty solid understanding in about a week?
I don't want to spent TOO much time on it because I really want to hone down on physics for the OAT which is more looked at and has 10 more questions. (OAT is the same as DAT but with physics instead of perceptual)

Are there any books that can help you grasp everything Orgo in about a week or two?
I was looking into studyorgo.com but not sure how good that would be.

My current remaining resources are:
notes from Chad's videos, 3 Achiever tests, Cracking the OAT by Princeton Review, a couple Princeton Review tests for both OAT and DAT, the ADA sample tests for OAT and DAT

Mike's videos are extremely concise and cover everything you need to know. Do his practice questions after each video and then BC tests to practice/engrain. I was 4 years removed from OC and scored a 26.

Mike's videos are extremely concise and cover everything you need to know. Do his practice questions after each video and then BC tests to practice/engrain. I was 4 years removed from OC and scored a 26.

Wow! How long do you think it will take to go through Mikes?

There are 14 chapters so it took me 2 weeks. Shoot for 1 chapter a day :) His videos really are impeccable in my personal opinion.
Do you remember how long each chapter was taking you each day? Haha sorry for all the questions I'm trying to create my final stretch study schedule and see if I should spent $250. I have 2 weeks until my test but I took all next week off from work

Do you remember how long each chapter was taking you each day? Haha sorry for all the questions I'm trying to create my final stretch study schedule and see if I should spent $250. I have 2 weeks until my test but I took all next week off from work

No worries at all. For me it probably took 8 hours, but I took my time to make notes and do the practice questions after each chapter. It was also during the beginning stages of my prep, so I wasn't used to studying plus I was a year removed from school. Total video runtime for each chapter is 1 to 2 hours. Chapters 7-14 are the reactions, the important stuff. Chapters 1-6 are Bonding and Molecular Geometry, Acids and Bases, Nomenclature, Stereochem, Spectroscopy, IM Forces and Lab Techniques, respectively. If the OAT mainly tests reactions, it'd be plausible to only do Chapters 7-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always watch the videos at 1.5x speed to save time - it also helps you stay focused

Thanks! I was able to go through 3 chapters of Mike's videos on 1.5x speed in only a day. It has helped me so much! Didn't even realize to do that even though it's such a simple trick. I prefer it over the 1x speed because I'm zoning out less like you said lol

Also I just checked the recent ADA guides for both the OAT and the DAT. Both are exactly the same on Natural Sciences, QR and Reading under the 'Scope of the test' section where it lists all the chapters/topics that could show up. This makes life so much easier since some of the DAT study materials (like Mikes videos) have really been helping greatly

I took the DAT last week and received a 30 on OC. I only used Chad's, Bootcamp, and Destroyer. Chad's will cover all of the content you'll need and bootcamp and destroyer will allow you to actually practice applying what you know. I'd say do destroyer once while marking what you get wrong, then go through it again and redo the problems you previously got wrong. Realistically, you could finish OC in destroyer in a week. Then I'd move on to bootcamp. After that, just keep reviewing the stuff you get wrong.