Other OT-Related Information What is the future like for OTA's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmohaulic

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The wealth of jobs for OTA's does not seem to be like what it is for PTA's.

It seems like if anything they are on the decline and there are not many opportunities for them other than some per diem positions in SNF.

Why is that and what do you think the future will be like?

Members don't see this ad.

I think an important thing to consider is the amount of practicing PTs versus the amount of practicing OTs. I just googled it and found that there are roughly 210,000 physical therapist jobs in the US and 114,000 occupational therapist jobs. Maybe its because there are simply more PTs than OTs.

I actually just got home from my best friend's house, who is going to graduate PTA school in October, and tonight we talked about how she is worried because she isn't finding very many PTA job postings in our city. So I think it may vary by location.

I agree that it varies by location. My niece was in a OTA program in the NC Triangle area, and she didn't have a problem finding a job when she graduated in 5/2016. There is always a need in rural areas. I am a PT myself, and took a job in a semi-rural area upon graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it varies by location. My niece was in a OTA program in the NC Triangle area, and she didn't have a problem finding a job when she graduated in 5/2016. There is always a need in rural areas. I am a PT myself, and took a job in a semi-rural area upon graduation.

SNF im at is having problems keeping OTAs and OTs. Manager gave gift card to an OT for staying 6 months.

Wow... Do you know why that is?

Idk man. Probably regional or maybe OT/OTAs do not like snf work.

There seems to be enough OTAs but they do not seem to stick around. One left after 3 days with no indication and 2 never showed up to orientation. I think we are still looking for some.

Experienced OTA ik makes $30 hr so it probably is not a money issue.