What is the future of neurosurgery like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MStewart

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

If I do go into medicine, it would only be to become a neurosurgeon. I love the neuroscience and I love the seriousness of patient conditions. However, it seems like neurosurgery is a contracting specialty. My understanding is that radiology, orthopedics, and trauma surgeons all do what was once exclusive to NS. Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but what is the future of NS like (esp. pediatrics)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

If I do go into medicine, it would only be to become a neurosurgeon. I love the neuroscience and I love the seriousness of patient conditions. However, it seems like neurosurgery is a contracting specialty. My understanding is that radiology, orthopedics, and trauma surgeons all do what was once exclusive to NS. Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but what is the future of NS like (esp. pediatrics)?

1. Keep an open mind about what you want to do if you get into medical school. I, too, thought the only thing that would make me happy was to become a neurosurgeon. I was wrong. Luckily, because I had an open mind, I am not stuck in a 6-7 year residency that I absolutely hate.

2. As for the future of neurosurgery, I think (a) there is plenty of work to go around and (b) there really isn't that much encroachment by the other services on what neurosurgeons do, especially in pediatrics.