What is the future of Podiatric Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard their are relatively few podiatrists coming out of pod school these days, theirs both good and bad in that, and in any profession it helps to think where the profession will be 10 years down the road, do you think with such few graduating pods their will be a great demand making salaries soar or what, please no sarcasm guys, and yes I've done a search :)

Members don't see this ad.

I heard their are relatively few podiatrists coming out of pod school these days, theirs both good and bad in that, and in any profession it helps to think where the profession will be 10 years down the road, do you think with such few graduating pods their will be a great demand making salaries soar or what, please no sarcasm guys, and yes I've done a search :)

Yes and no. It's really going to depend a lot on the market and medicare. Medicare sets a lot the baseline rates for reimbursement, right now they are trying to get a 1% increase instead of a 10% cut (that's for EVERYONE in the medical field by the way), however market forces are pushing Podiatry more and more in the spotlight, causing greater demand. So i would say, even if the graduating schools had bigger classes, there would still be an increase in salaries per podiatrist, pending on the level of residency/fellowship training.

right now they are trying to get a 1% increase instead of a 10% cut (that's for EVERYONE in the medical field by the way),

Stafocker could you explain this, I don't really understand what that means? Who is trying to increase and who is trying to decrease reimbursement? And do you know where they are in the decision now? Does it look like they will pass the 1% increase or the 10% decrease? It seems like if they pass the 10% decrease it will be a huge hit for the whole medical field.

Stafocker could you explain this, I don't really understand what that means? Who is trying to increase and who is trying to decrease reimbursement? And do you know where they are in the decision now? Does it look like they will pass the 1% increase or the 10% decrease? It seems like if they pass the 10% decrease it will be a huge hit for the whole medical field.

As I understand it, this ~10% cut has been proposed every year for many consecutive years, and every year there's a last-minute vote not to make this decrease in reimbursement (as if they're doing us some big favor). Since inflation increases every year, medical student debt increases every year, and costs to provide care generally increase, we're getting slowly screwed, nonetheless. So Congress is basically holding this over our heads continuously.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I usually am.