What is the hardest undergraduate Pre-Dent prerequisite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shouvikp1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ochem II?
Biochem?

What do u guys think was the hardest one to get through? And judging by the hardest class, where does that class stand in relation to the difficulty of dental school classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Ochem II?
Biochem?

What do u guys think was the hardest one to get through? And judging by the hardest class, where does that class stand in relation to the difficulty of dental school classes?

I think biochem was the hardest for me. I was so burnt out by the time I took it, I really had a hard time staying focused. It was a tough class in and of itself, but compound that with the burn out factor, and it was nearly impossible. Somehow I escaped with a B-.

For me it has been Physics. I get good grades in Physics but have to work harder to get them. I never took Physics in high school so that makes it extra hard for me.

I personally loved BioChem because I felt like it was pure memorizing when we got to the cycles. The initial fatty acid characteristic/enzyme regulation stuff was more conceptual but once we got passed the basics, it was all memorizing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Def. physics!!!
Other hardcore courses including biochem, anatomy, physio, and micro even though difficult will be helpful later in dschool. at least that's what I thought.
But physics.. is useless, not even on DAT.
Ergo, it was super hard to stay focused while doing physics.

umm...Not sure Biochem is a common pre-req

but I'd say out of those 2 classes, OChem 2 gave me the most trouble. Then again, it was in one of my tougher semesters...so I'm not completely sure. However, Biochem was difficult - but maybe I liked it a little more than OChem? Possibly.

Bottomline: None of those classes are easy. In fact, all Pre-reqs were challenging (but enjoyable) for me (gchem, gbio, ochem, physics).

Sidenote: With Biochem, it also helps to have done a Micro class before enrolling. I thought it helped a lot.

Ochem II was so tough for me...I didn't put enough effort into OC I though, so I didn't do that great either...and starting off with a weak foundation and hardly knowing the basic mechanisms/concepts made it really hard to keep up from day 1 of OC II. Memorizing mechanisms with the arrows and doing synthesis problems just never stuck. Glad its over though! I'm in biochem now, and so far I like it much better!

You have it within yourself to get an A in every class you choose...there are no hard pre-dent prerequisites. Don't worry, you can do it.:thumbup:

You have it within yourself to get an A in every class you choose...there are no hard pre-dent prerequisites. Don't worry, you can do it.:thumbup:

OchemII is by far the most difficult. It's not impossible to do well in in the course, it just takes the most work and the most time to learn all those mechanisms.

Biochem has definitely been one of the hardest courses for me in my undergrad. I had a bit of a difficult time with OCHEMI but switched to a different prof the next semester and had a much better time with it learning different study techniques, but biochem was hard both semesters for me.

I thought that both of those classes were hard, but I found Biochem to be more difficult to understand because I had a crappy teacher in undergrad. Lets see... compared to Dental School classes, well, I'm taking Head and Neck Anatomy, and it's by FAR the most difficult class I've ever taken - I wish I could take Biochem a few more times instead of having this class, haha - though Head and Neck is actually somewhat useful as a dentist.

Definately Physics!!!
I just cant understand the fact that after you throw that ball in the air....it stops and then comes back down lol...I know its ridiculous feel free to laugh I dont care I HATE PHYSICS!!! I dont even understand why we (pre-dental students) have to take it...NO its not on the DAT NO its probably not going to help in dental school or will it be taught period! Maybe its a weed out class...yup...thats what it is....:smuggrin: