What is the highest grade that you can get in your undergraduate university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sankri92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's assume the courses are science-related (e.g. Biochemistry), what is the highest letter grade that you can get from that? What percent do you need to get that grade? And what GPA corresponds to that grade?
I ask this because I come from a Canadian University - the highest letter grade you can get is A+, corresponding to a 90%+ in Biochemistry average and a 4.5 GPA. An A is considered a 4.0. Also not all courses are 90%+, some course are 95%+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad.

Let's assume the courses are science-related (e.g. Biochemistry), what is the highest letter grade that you can get from that? What percent do you need to get that grade? And what GPA corresponds to that grade?
I ask this because I come from a Canadian University - the highest letter grade you can get is A+, corresponding to a 90%+ in Biochemistry average and a 4.5 GPA. An A is considered a 4.0. Also not all courses are 90%+, some course are 95%+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
UVM - Maximum grade - A

They don't give out A+s. Some teachers will mention that the student deserved an A+ in a LOR.

Why did you post this same question 3 times?

I would guess that the OP accidentally clicked multiple times since they are all in the same forum and all appear to have been submitted at the same time.

At my school, it depends on the class. All Spanish classes seem to cut the difference between a A and A- at a 95%. Biology and other classes tend to use the traditional scoring (93% is cutoff for an A) but a few classes use the 95% cut off like biochemistry.

My school doesn't give out an A+ grade. Those are just As.

For the record, AMCAS changes all grades that are a A+ to just being an A. So any grade inflation you get at your university will go away on the AMCAS. :scared:

Where I went to college (and I am speaking for most students in U.S. universities) the highest grade available is A+, however, the highest functional grade is A, which corresponds to 4.0. Professors would occasionally give out A+s, the "+" serving as a kind of gold star-- meaningless, but still nice to get.

For my undergrad institution, the highest letter grade you could get was an A. The percentage required to obtain an A varied from course to course. For all the other letter grades, a "+" was possible.

Hmmm I think the question you're asking is what's the highest grade possible in which case it was an A.

I could rarely break a B- though :(

My school gives A+'s, but they are worth the same as an A (4.0). Different teachers use A+ differently. Most of the time it is only given when there is a curve, and your grade is above 100% with the curve.

4.0 is our highest with 0.1 increments. Almost all sciences classes are curved with a standard bell with the average being 2.7 +/- 0.2

I think biochem specifically curved with the top 5% getting a 4.0 and a curve set from that.

Once you're tenured, that all goes out the window and the prof can do (almost) whatever the hell they want .....

A

But if you do really nice, I hear the teacher sometimes gives you a pat on the back.

Doesn't AMCAS convert all A+'s (4.3) to A (4.0) anyway?

tumblr_m1it49Lm621qakgigo1_400.jpg

My school only goes up to A.

A+. Still a 4.0. No bonus points.

Grade scale depends on the course and professor. Some classes are curved. Some aren't.