What is the highest ranked osteopathic school in the country?

Mar 25, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think this tier system makes more sense:

Tier 1: OUCOM, MSUCOM, TCOM. OSUCOM, UMDNJSOM, PCOM, KCOM, kcumb, CCOM, Western-ca, NSUCOM, UNECOM, dmucom

Tier 2: VCOM (both branches), WVSOM, LECOM erie, bradenton, AZCOM, NYCOM (a lot of student misery stories)

Tier 3: Touro colleges in ca, nv, ny, PCOM-GA, ATSU-SOMA, LECOM seton hill, lmu-dcom

Tier 4: wcucom, pikeville, pnwucom, western-oregon (will probably soon change)

Tier 5: rvucom

I don't think state v. private makes any sense except for how much you pay for tuition.
lmao tier 5 rvu, why not just call it tier The Vista, or

SavoirFaire

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
I think threads like this are essentially pissing contests.

For the most part, with a few exceptions, schools equal out. In the end no one cares where you go and you're going to study a lot regardless. Do patients ask their doctors where they went to school? Absolutely not. Do most people even know the difference between MD and DO? No, they don't. Not even many health care professionals.

Along the same line patients do not ask what grades you made in your biochem class. None of that matters. You could be the B- student from hell for all they know. What they care about is that you are a good doctor. Get over this elitism, prestige-seeking or whatever you would call it. Focus on applying / studying and move on.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Tier 1: OUCOM, MSUCOM, TCOM. OSUCOM, UMDNJSOM, PCOM, KCOM, kcumb, CCOM, Western-ca, NSUCOM, UNECOM, dmucom

Tier 2: VCOM (both branches), WVSOM, LECOM erie, bradenton, AZCOM, NYCOM (a lot of student misery stories)

Tier 3: Touro colleges in ca, nv, ny, PCOM-GA, ATSU-SOMA, LECOM seton hill, lmu-dcom

I don't think state v. private makes any sense except for how much you pay for tuition.
Your tier 1 is really rather inclusive, but generally agreeable. Anyways I'd personally fuse tier 4 and 5 into one tier :rolleyes:, RVU is slightly more desirable than a few in the current 4th tier. I would also move VCOM into tier 4, OUCOM & WVSOM into tier 3, and NYCOM into the 1st tier.

About the Ads
Jul 25, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
still though, when taking into account stability of faculty,hospital affiliations, rotations, variety and strength of post grad residencies, in addition to research funding, not moving state to state year 3 and 4...state supported DO schools are imo in better shape than private ones.
The big state DO schools have an inherent advantage, and I believe they play a role in protecting the DO degree in the eye of the public and looking after their graduates. They share the same ecosystem within the state with the other state universities, including access to some resources. Faculty and staff are government employees and supported by an entrenched bureaucracy, politicians and alumni throughout the state. They can self-perpetuate and influence policy in the same way as the state MD schools.

Reactions: user3

SavoirFaire

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
The big state DO schools have an inherent advantage, and I believe they play a role in protecting the DO degree in the eye of the public and looking after their graduates.
What does that even mean?

Just by stating that, it seems within that sentence is the assumption that the DO degree needs protection, which is ridiculous.

Really most people outside the pre-med world have ZERO understanding of any of these kinds of questions. I'm sure some of you have told people you know that you were applying to osteopathic schools, and they said something like "so you want to be a chiropractor?" The lack of public knowledge of the inner process that we go through makes threads like this kind of pointless IMO. It only matters to us. As for myself I got over caring about my school's ranking a while ago.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The big state DO schools have an inherent advantage, and I believe they play a role in protecting the DO degree in the eye of the public and looking after their graduates. They share the same ecosystem within the state with the other state universities, including access to some resources. Faculty and staff are government employees and supported by an entrenched bureaucracy, politicians and alumni throughout the state. They can self-perpetuate and influence policy in the same way as the state MD schools.
I don't think I quite get your premise about protecting the DO degree as that's more of an AOA thing. Though I will agree that they have better resources and connections than a stand alone professional school and thus inherently advantageous to attend.

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:thumbup:

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I respect that tier system and agree with your final statement when considering LCME accredited schools but not DO schools for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think threads like this are essentially pissing contests.

For the most part, with a few exceptions, schools equal out. In the end no one cares where you go and you're going to study a lot regardless. Do patients ask their doctors where they went to school? Absolutely not. Do most people even know the difference between MD and DO? No, they don't. Not even many health care professionals.
Times have changed my friend. More patients are digging up on their physicians educational history via numerous websites offering that info for free. Try it. just google your primary care docs name and you'll see.

Knowledge knows no boundaries these days. Meds, treatment plans....the list goes on. Patients now have more autonomy in the doctors office. They actually "get" what the dude in the white coat is talking about and will go home to research anything they did not understand.

My hope is that this new revolution in the patient-doctor relationship will lead to a greater understanding of DO history (over 150years) and in particular the unique perspectives a doc with a DO degree can offer a patient as medicine continues to change in decades to come.

SavoirFaire

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Times have changed my friend. More patients are digging up on their physicians educational history via numerous websites offering that info for free. Try it. just google your primary care docs name and you'll see.

Knowledge knows no boundaries these days. Meds, treatment plans....the list goes on. Patients now have more autonomy in the doctors office. They actually "get" what the dude in the white coat is talking about and will go home to research anything they did not understand.

My hope is that this new revolution in the patient-doctor relationship will lead to a greater understanding of DO history (over 150years) and in particular the unique perspectives a doc with a DO degree can offer a patient as medicine continues to change in decades to come.
That's interesting - what you said about patients having autonomy. People can google any disease or check webmd. I really think this is both positive and negative...positive for more public education but negative because a lot of people try to diagnose themselves or demand drugs from doctors. I've seen a fair amount of both. The drawback is that the internet is full of misinformation regarding anything medical. I imagine I will be dealing with this once I am out of medical school.

I don't see why patients would have a reason to research their doctor's educational history though. But you're right; it is really easy to find out where a doctor goes to medical school.

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

And? What am I going to stop going to him just because he went to blank and blank? Or am I going to honestly care?

Big claim right here. I'm going to argue that patients probably have more misconceptions about medical practices and treatments than facts. And sites like WebMD/ wikipedia likely do nothing to help, in fact they probably lead more to hypochondriacs coming in because they're somaticizing symptoms which look really similar to {insert popular disorder}.

Lolwut? Excuse me, I'm going to use your post as a reinforcing stimulant for a career in pathology or radiology. No patients telling me about what they are sick with and why they need {insert medicine} because they obviously either went to medical school and or WebMD being infallible.

Last edited:

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dentist
Girls in sweatpants and sweatshirts daily = fail
Girls in skirts/sexy outfits/heels daily = win

I'll put on a freakin tie :thumbup:

Edit: the weather does suck. excellent for study motivation... bad for vit. D levels lol
I think girls in sweatpants are cute:laugh: I hope im not the only one

About the Ads

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lolwut? Excuse me, I'm going to use your post as a reinforcing stimulant for a career in pathology or radiology. No patients telling me about what they are sick with and why they need {insert medicine} because they obviously either went to medical school and or WebMD being infallible.
meh i'm not sure how you got to rads and path but ok. check out this interesting article i found yesterday for some background on what i was speaking to in my previous post.

there is a research study in there that actually contains data which has 2/3 of people would rather leave medical decisions to MD/DO's. but maybe that other 1/3 would be the "webMD being infallible".

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/letting-doctors-make-the-tough-decisions/?ref=health

anyways though, this is all very interesting stuff which definitely needs to be researched further on one day..

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
meh i'm not sure how you got to rads and path but ok. check out this interesting article i found yesterday for some background on what i was speaking to in my previous post.

there is a research study in there that actually contains data which has 2/3 of people would rather leave medical decisions to MD/DO's. but maybe that other 1/3 would be the "webMD being infallible".

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/letting-doctors-make-the-tough-decisions/?ref=health

anyways though, this is all very interesting stuff which definitely needs to be researched further on one day..
Because they are specialties with limited patient contact and hearing your patients tell you how to treat them. Secondly, the research results likely only gives you a look at the logical ideals of the modern patient, not the actual practices.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
IMO, this is the best tier list:

Tier 1 (Watermelon Tier): The school you matriculated

Tier 2 (Mango Tier): The schools you got accepted to

Tier 3 (Blueberry Tier): The schools you got wait-listed

Tier 4 (Passion fruit Tier): The schools you didn't apply to

Tier 5 (Plum Tier): The schools you got rejected from

You obviously won't know what the tier list until you have been through the application process...sound familiar?

Mbeas

Hi I'm Kate
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2010
Amurica
Status
Pre-Medical

You obviously won't know what the tier list until you have been through the application process...sound familiar?
I'd switch mango and plum. Mango is gross :thumbdown:

SavoirFaire

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical

Haha, nice :D

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I must say those are some odd choices for fruit:D

HH Holmes

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2009

/thread

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Funny stuff, but your post is understandable since you said you wouldn't even apply there anyway.

Name another "Tier 4" DO school who is in charge of providing medical care for a major university athletic department, has an affiliation with said major university, or gets their research published regularly. VCOM has accomplished a lot in its short 8 year existence.

I know it's just your opinion, and you're entitled to believe that. I just felt it was unfair to think that lowly of the school.

Anyway, these lists are pointless if you're a rock star student. You can go to the "worst" medical school in the country, but if you're an incredible candidate then you will get what you want in your career.
True enough. I suppose I might be selling VCOM a bit short.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Miami
Status
Attending Physician
Touro? Really?
Hells yea.

touro ny above LECOM? are you serious?
I'd rank them level personally, but the addition of NYMC (3rd most applied to medical school in america) to the touro fold might have been a nice plus point for this absolutely silly "ranking" given the system shares many of its rotation sites among "the family"

in the end this is all silly and inconsequential. Its a lot of self-accomplishment. Students will succeed to their aptitude, within certain limits, wherever they are. Rank schools not on any imagined merit... this isnt law school... but rather on cost, proximity, connections in the area, rotation sites you really want to be at.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Miami
Status
Attending Physician
True enough. I suppose I might be selling VCOM a bit short.
most people sell it short. I think it gets a hard shaft because (correct me if I'm wrong) its stats are in the lower third of the DO world and its very regional... so a lot of people dont hear about it and those that do usually hear that it has low scores and prefer people from states other than their own (unless they're in the area), not that its valued strongly in its area.

I still like to make fun of it. :laugh:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
most people sell it short. I think it gets a hard shaft because (correct me if I'm wrong) its stats are in the lower third of the DO world and its very regional... so a lot of people dont hear about it and those that do usually hear that it has low scores and prefer people from states other than their own (unless they're in the area), not that its valued strongly in its area.

I still like to make fun of it. :laugh:
That's why I thought it would be an extremely low ranked program.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Miami
Status
Attending Physician
I believe my class' averages were a 3.6 GPA and a 25 MCAT. VCOM looks more favorably on the science GPA than the MCAT, so that would explain the higher GPA and lower MCAT scores compared to other DO schools.

Sorry we're not as cool as NYCOM, but at least we have a much lower tuition, a non-crushing cost of living, and better weather.
I'm cooler than NYCOM too, and my tuition is also cheaper than VCOMs. ;) Glad we can both be in the cooler than NYCOM crowd. Lets get matching varsity jackets. :idea:

EDIT ADDENDUM: in reality, nothing matters but your own ability to succeed at a given school and your happiness there. Im sure we're all pretty happy with where we choose, but lets be honest... almost every school gets mocked for one reason or another, true or not. NYCOM is supposedly osteonuts. KCOM is supposedly a socially backward middle of nowhere. VCOM is supposedly near the bottom of the barrel (sorry, you guys got a bad one) and just a fallback for west/virginian applicants, Touro is a money-grabbing company trading education for greased palms, UNECOM has some billion dollar secret tuition, UMDNJ is run by thugs and criminals (that one used to actually be true), LECOM is for repressed uniform wearing people with no other school acceptances, Pikeville is apparently every negative adjective out there, Nova and PCOM are... actually... they're pretty well loved.

the point being, (almost) everyone has terrible connotations attached to them. They're pretty much all huge exaggerations, only correct in the past, or complete nonsense. Pikeville probably has the worst 'i-heard-this' reputation, but VCOM is prob the #2 for mocking from my personal experience with the osteo student community (its okay, touro comes in at 3 or 4 with LECOM). Its all in good fun, everyone loves their school and is superstitious of everyone elses. The reputation we sling online is not the same as the respect it garners in academia.

Last edited:
About the Ads