Employment & Professional Networking What is the hourly rate of CHTs in your area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truthmarket

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should take the leap

Members don't see this ad.

The CHTs in a nearby (large) hospital get a 3% raise once they pass the exam. I’ve talked to a one other who said that his hospital just gives a small bonus (a couple hundred dollars) at the end of the year as a CHT bonus. My area is Southern CA.

It’s not much, considering all the work and hours that they put in.

It's a substantial difference in my area. It can vary depending on who you work for, but it can be as much as a 30% increase in pay rate (i.e. Starting pay may be in the $30s per hour and then jump up to mid $40s per hour once CHT is obtained). You might have to job hop a little for more negotiating power once you get the CHT but it's possible.

Source: am a hand therapist with hand therapist colleagues at varying clinics/hospitals in my area.

Fyi, I live in a high income/cost of living area that currently has very high population growth. Could be a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)

Academic hospital near me lowest little bit over 75k and top 84k from what I can tell. They do not perform 100% hands. Not sure how productivity is measured.

I'm looking at hands as well. Not sure if I should an official post-grad training/residency.

It's a substantial difference in my area. It can vary depending on who you work for, but it can be as much as a 30% increase in pay rate (i.e. Starting pay may be in the $30s per hour and then jump up to mid $40s per hour once CHT is obtained). You might have to job hop a little for more negotiating power once you get the CHT but it's possible.

Source: am a hand therapist with hand therapist colleagues at varying clinics/hospitals in my area.

Fyi, I live in a high income/cost of living area that currently has very high population growth. Could be a factor.

Just to make sure I am understanding:

For example: a hand therapist with 3 years of experience will be paid in the 30s an hour while a CHT with 3 years of experience (let’s say the same person just passed the exam) will be paid at mid 40s?

I’m hoping you mean the hand therapist (preCHT) was being paid in the high 30s. It would just be sad if that individual was being paid 35 or less when they’ve worked 3 years already. Especially in a high growth/cost of living area.

Or perhaps you mean they started as a new grad somewhere in the low 30s? In that case I hope the the facility has been offering yearly raises.

Just to make sure I am understanding:

For example: a hand therapist with 3 years of experience will be paid in the 30s an hour while a CHT with 3 years of experience (let’s say the same person just passed the exam) will be paid at mid 40s?

I’m hoping you mean the hand therapist (preCHT) was being paid in the high 30s. It would just be sad if that individual was being paid 35 or less when they’ve worked 3 years already. Especially in a high growth/cost of living area.

Or perhaps you mean they started as a new grad somewhere in the low 30s? In that case I hope the the facility has been offering yearly raises.

I'm strictly speaking from a new grad to a CHT. This is not just one facility in my region but several different ones that follow this similar pay arc. I think it varies by facility what a noncht hand therapist with a few years of different OT experience would make and I can't comment on that. Also the hourly pay I'm stating is for full time employment with packages including insurance benefits vacation/holiday pay etc. A per diem hourly rate would be much higher. That being said, if you live in Texas or Vegas or work at a SNF, of course you think the rate seems low...

I'm strictly speaking from a new grad to a CHT. This is not just one facility in my region but several different ones that follow this similar pay arc. I think it varies by facility what a noncht hand therapist with a few years of different OT experience would make and I can't comment on that. Also the hourly pay I'm stating is for full time employment with packages including insurance benefits vacation/holiday pay etc. A per diem hourly rate would be much higher. That being said, if you live in Texas or Vegas or work at a SNF, of course you think the rate seems low...

When I was answering the question, I was considering it from the perspective of someone just before and after the exam not from new grad over the course of years transitioning to CHT. So I was just thinking that a hand therapist with at least 3 years in a busy area being paid in the low 30s (even as salaried) was being grossly underpaid.

If we are speaking from new grad to CHT pay transitions, I agree with your statement. New grads at a hand clinic will start in the low to mid 30s and assuming they earn their CHT by their 4th-ish year will probably break in the low 40s depending on if they transition to a new work place or have good negotiating skills. Urban and high cost of living area.