Medical What is the Impact of Dual Enrollment courses taken in high school on chances of MD/JD acceptance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...so this is going to sound insane, but I am worried about a single B (half a point away from an A!) that I got in Multivariate Calculus, primarily because the college that I took it through doesn’t have pluses/minuses (making it a flat 3.0) and the course was a 4 credit course. This lowered my cGPA and sGPA to 3.810 and 3.765, respectively, before I have even started earning my degree. Because I will not be attending an uber-selective college next year (US Top 100), I am worried that I am already screwed because I feel like I have to basically have a 4.0 GPA to be taken seriously by adcoms, especially for MD/JD programs. Do medical schools give much mind to college courses taken in high school?

Perhaps the more important question to ask is if I should be worrying at all.

Thank y’all! Stay well.
I don't think many admissions committees I know focus on dual enrollment courses that much either way. That said you need to find out how the few schools that offer MD/JD tracks really review your application. I think most would want you to be acceptable to medical school, and then if you are doing really well, they may make you eligible for the JD track (pending your LSAT).

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to MD/JD programs, but I can say that MD programs generally don't care about a single B. You do not need a 4.0 to get into medical school. If you are only able to get into an MD school initially, you can always do the JD later, or you can apply to a JD at another school (maybe even a more prestigious one, as one of my relatives did) while in medical school and ask them to work with your JD program to shorten things to 6 years. You have tons of options, and your GPA is excellent, so I wouldn't be incredibly concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.