What is the kosher way to end your practice as a community psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprawl2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just want to see what everyone's opinion about this.
We do get many consults from GP and we cannot successfully treat all of them.
Let's say by the time you need to end your practice due to moving, medical leave, etc.

At what point do you accept to see new patients? 6 months before your leave? 3 months before?

If you do see a new patient, do you tell them that it's only for a one-time consultation? If they are depressed and not doing well, are you obliged to follow them despite you are leaving in a few months?

Let's say that a few of your patients are treatment resistant and they require further treatment. Do you write a letter back to the referring GP suggesting a repeat consultation to another psychiatrist or do you send a consult to another psychiatrist?

Members don't see this ad.

State law in my state requires you send a certified letter to every patient with at minimum a list of community psychiatrists and organizations that they can go to continue care. I would start doing this 6 months out or as soon as you know you are moving/quitting/retiring. State law here also mandates you have to keep records and be able to provide them for a certain amount of time, I think 5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to know. I always wonder about this.

What if your PCP/GP colleagues still want you to see some new patients for single-assessment consultations? Would you still accept to see those patients up until let's say 3 months prior to your departure?

State law in my state requires you send a certified letter to every patient with at minimum a list of community psychiatrists and organizations that they can go to continue care. I would start doing this 6 months out or as soon as you know you are moving/quitting/retiring. State law here also mandates you have to keep records and be able to provide them for a certain amount of time, I think 5 years.

The state law you cite begs a question: what happens if you get sick or disabled to the point that you have to immediately cease working? What does the state law have to say about that RE notice to patients?