What is the latest advisable date to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thespitfire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm looking to apply to medical school in the 2019 cycle. I was initially looking at taking the MCAT June 15 or June 28, but my scores would become available in mid- to late July, and based on what I've been reading, that's late. I know that I can submit my primary application without an MCAT score, but have read that schools won't look at an application until it's "complete" with an MCAT score. I also know schools don't begin looking at apps until July and that June is the AMCAS's verification period. What are your thoughts? When is the latest I should take the MCAT?

Edit: I guess I'm concerned because I'm looking at NYU and their interview invitations get sent in July, which suggests to me that my scores should be ready in early July at the latest...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The general rule of thumb is to have everything (including secondaries, MCAT, and LORs) completed by Labor Day for AMCAS (MD) schools and Thanksgiving for AACOMAS (DO) schools so you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT June 16th, had my score by July 17, and got an interview at NYU this cycle very early. It’s doable :)

Reactions: 1 user
The general rule of thumb is to have everything (including secondaries, MCAT, and LORs) completed by Labor Day for AMCAS (MD) schools and Thanksgiving for AACOMAS (DO) schools so you should be fine.

Okay! This is very doable.

The entire world is looking at NYU with their free tuition. Have a backup plan :)

I definitely do! There are several schools I'm interested in, but the specific timeline on NYU's website freaked me out. I was actually interested in NYU before the free tuition thing, but it's definitely become way more competitive now, lol.

*IF* you have nothing else on your plate after the MCAT (meaning you can pre-write all of your secondaries) AND you have already completed your primary applications, then early to mid June is fine because it will take that long to verify your primary and if you are complete by mid July you are in good shape.

Do you have any thoughts on June 15 vs June 28?
If you have prepared enough to get your best score by June 15th, earlier is better.
If you have only allocated 4 dedicated wks to do MCAT studying, the 2 additional wks will likely improve your score, so take it on the later date.
Two of my advisees had late complete dates due to their undergrad not sending the committee letters until late September and they still got NYU interviews within 2-3 weeks. If you have the stats to get an interview at NYU, they will find you in the pile. You might be more likely to get an interview if you submit earlier, but a great application (and that is who gets in there!) will likely still be found 2 weeks later.

Have you taken the official practice tests? I don't think the problem is taking it June 15th per say. The problem is whether you are rushing your studying and application. Meaning will you do well on the MCAT on June 15th and will you have your personal statement and primary app ready to go by then?

I took the MCAT June 30, had my scores July 31, got 6 interviews, went to 3 and got 2 acceptances and a WL that I withdrew from. Just do well. SDN is obsessed with getting everything in as early as possible. You should take it when you’re ready and submit when your application is the best it will be.