What is the lifestyle of an addiction psychiatrist like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in an IOP program where I don't see a psychiatrist. So in which setting do they work if not there?

How competitive are addiction fellowships and which are the best?

Do we know if addicts are born or does this develop with drug abuse?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in an IOP program where I don't see a psychiatrist. So in which setting do they work if not there?
Addiction psychiatrists work in all settings, including IOPs.

How competitive are addiction fellowships and which are the best?
I don't know, but you're not even in med school yet, right? It's a little early to be planning so far ahead.

We know that there are both genetic and environmental factors. Wikipedia usually does a good job on collecting the evidence for various contributing factors and theories.

Reactions: 2 users

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/science/mark-willenbring-addiction-substance-abuse-treatment.html
This article came out today describing a comprehensive outpatient clinic setting for an addiction psychiatrist.

I found it refreshing to hear about a combination approach (of medications, evidence-based therapies) as an alternative to AA's approach. My sense is there is a strong demand for more personalized and evidence-based addiction psychiatry treatments, given the mix of underlying genetic psychiatric vulnerabilities as well as rigid coping skills that contribute to a addiction.

Some work on inpatient chemical dependency units.