What is the LINE COUNTING METHOD for PAT TFE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The best advice would be to purchase Barron's - How to Prepare for the DAT. It's about $18, but the PAT strategies are the best that I've come across yet. Kaplan strategies for PAT are pretty useless and minimal (I've noticed people commending it, and still haven't seen what's so great about it). To sucessfully employ the line-counting strategy, you will need lots of practise to gain confidence in your abilities.

Somebody had posted this image a couple of months back on this forum, and I saved it to my computer, so I decided to upload and repost it for those who may have missed it or are confused about the line counting strategy:

countinglines.jpg

Hope this helps, and if anyone has more tips and techniques, please do share! :)

Somebody had posted this image a couple of months back on this forum, and I saved it to my computer, so I decided to upload and repost it for those who may have missed it or are confused about the line counting strategy:

countinglines.jpg

Hope this helps, and if anyone has more tips and techniques, please do share! :)

Thanks for putting the pic up Scuzzy!

By the way, do you have a time issue with this section? I have been using the line counting method while going through the Crack Pat tests...and I am barely able to finish a section in 18-20 mins.

While I have been getting 12-13 correct each time, with the time constraint, I have not been able to visualize any of the objects/problems. Instead, I have been choosing answers based on just the line counting, so if I am only able to eliminate a couple of choices for problems on the real DAT, I am not sure I'll have enough time to actually get through the problems:confused:

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyy yah i made the picture a while back.. glad its coming to use!!!

I suggest you start to visualize the actual picture. You dont have to visualize the whole thing, but atleast a part of it because on the real thing i took, the line counting strat didnt work for more than half because all choices had the same amount of lines.

When you do crack dat pat, look at the solution, and compare each answer choice to the solution. Look at the differences in the answer choices and with time and practice you will get better at this.

Good luck.

Darn...I think I have finally gotten good with the line counting (scoring between 12-14 on Crack PAT) and was hoping to use the method exclusively on the test as I figured only a handful would not be solvable this way?

For those who have taken the DAT already:

In your opinion, would you say that at least half of the TFE problems can be solved using the line counting method? Of those that can not be solved this way, would the method lead to the elimination of two incorrect choices....or will the method not work at all on a large part of the problems?

Thanks again!

Yes, I am also pressed for time still on TFE/pattern folding. But that's okay, because I like to go through the practise exams thouroughly and make sure I understand why the other answers do not fit and strategize (my test isn't until November). This is how I learn (even in my undergrad courses -- I do not do the practise finals and midterms in one sitting, but do each question as I finish the chapter pertaining to it). Then, as I get better and more confident, I will begin to time myself. With time and practise, I am sure you will get better and faster as well!

All of the questions can be solved using the line counting method in conjuction with visualization of the object (by "visualization," I mean knowing which lines will be hidden or visible). Yes, on the actual DAT I am sure there will be many answers with the same number of lines, but that's why you also need to know which lines will be hidden and which will be visible based on your perceptual reasoning (that will eliminate the answers with the exact same number of lines). You should probably combine the line counting method with visualizing the object (or if the object is too hard to visualize, focus on visualizing a unique section of the object and determine which lines will be visible or hidden) to the best of your ability rather than just relying on one or the other!

Thank you for supplying the image, DDS! :)

Heres a lil something else that might help... good luck!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    24 KB · Views: 437
Heres a lil something else that might help... good luck!

That's awesome! Thanks.

Good luck to you as well on the DAT if you have already not written it!

This forum is a great way to procrastinate and put off studying, which is why I'm so active today :p! But answering other people's questions and reading input/strategies from others is really helping me!