what is the lowest MCAT score that's best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossstr

Everything I do, I do for salsa dancing
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.51 uGPA, majored in Physician Assistant, 2xURM., 25 years old. Now a PA at top tier intitution's Hospital in Neurosurgery. (was a PA in orthopaedic surgery at institution before that). No research experience but in Masters of Biotech at same top tier institution with 3.7 GPA so far (just finished first semester). What's the LOWEST MCAT score I can get away with that will make me at least a potential candidate for some top 20's and pretty good chance for middle tier MD programs??

Members don't see this ad.

Probably high 20s.

What community do you represent? And please don't say "Brooklyn".

Every time you use that as your example I become more certain that you just hate Brooklyn...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably high 20s.

What community do you represent? And please don't say "Brooklyn".
I am half hispanic (family's from León, Spain) and half Cherokee/Lenape native american. You think I'll be a possible top 20 candidate with only a high 20 score? (Of course I'm shooting for higher) That would mildly relieve some anxiety.

Last edited:
Wow half Cherokee. I feel like top schools would still want to see at least a 509 though

Reactions: 1 users
The Spanish part is not URM.

Do you have any evidence of commitment to the NA community?

I am half hispanic (family's from León, Spain) and half Cherokee/Lenape native american. You think I'll be a possible top 20 candidate with only a high 20 score? (Of course I'm shooting for higher) That would mildly relieve some anxiety.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's assume for the sake of this discussion you don't really qualify for the type of boost that URMs tend to get(ie you don't have a ton of commitment to the NA community). In that case the 3.51 is below the 10th percentile at almost all top 20 schools but considering your life experiences with a top notch MCAT score(517+) you might still be able to find one or two top 20 types you could potentially be competitive at. A 3.51/517 can certainly potentially be competitive at those medium tier types like Emory, Rochester, Einstein etc depending on the rest of your of app. But alas we're getting way ahead of ourselves here first get that top 2-3 percentile MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
The Spanish part is not URM.

Do you have any evidence of commitment to the NA community?
Yes I am on a tribal roll

Let's assume for the sake of this discussion you don't really qualify for the type of boost that URMs tend to get(ie you don't have a ton of commitment to the NA community). In that case the 3.51 is below the 10th percentile at almost all top 20 schools but considering your life experiences with a top notch MCAT score(517+) you might still be able to find one or two top 20 types you could potentially be competitive at. A 3.51/517 can certainly potentially be competitive at those medium tier types like Emory, Rochester, Einstein etc depending on the rest of your of app. But alas we're getting way ahead of ourselves here first get that top 2-3 percentile MCAT score.

I think my cGPA will be higher after I complete my Master's.

Masters GPA is separate from your undergrad cGPA which is what matters.
I am currently enrolled in JHU's Biotech master's but doing the HSI track therefore I'm doing similar 1st year MD classes: Biochem, Advanced Cell Bio, Molecular Bio, and Biostatistics.