What is the med school pre req that adcoms weigh the most heavily?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruins2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one of these is most heavily weighted in admissions committee meetings?

General Bio I/II
General Chemistry I/II
Physics I/II
Organic Chemistry I/II

Members don't see this ad.

Some would argue that orgo is, but I don't think any prereq courses are weighed significantly more heavily than the others. If anything, the ones you took your junior and senior years might be weighed slightly more heavily, since this is your most recent coursework and medical schools like to see how you have matured academically.

I would say its the opposite; they gloss over those unless you have a C or something, in which case you'll probably pick up some extra scrutiny. (i.e., all As, 'Woohoo, all As pre-reqs, moving on...' vs a C or some Bs 'Hmm, had trouble with pre-reqs, lets see trends...')

Members don't see this ad :)
They're all req'd so likely to be a red flag if a B- or lower in any of them. Ochem might be looked at esp hard due to its rep as the universal premed weeder but all need to be strong for a strong candidate.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I've gotten the idea from SDN that your upper division science courses matter the most, should you decide to take them.

probably varies, but if it's physics I'll only hate that course more.

General Bio I/II
General Chemistry I/II
Physics I/II
Organic Chemistry I/II
None of them is weighted more heavily than the others. You are expected to complete all of the prereqs (hence, the "prereq" part), and you are expected to do well in all of them. If you didn't do well in one or more prereq, then yes, the poor grades will probably be discussed when your file is reviewed during the adcom meeting. Otherwise, your coursework usually won't be discussed at all.

To echo others, I'm under the impression that as far as prereqs go, your ADCOMs check off that you've done them and don't read too much into invidual grades (can you imagine how much time that would take?) opting to gain insight from sGPA+cGPA instead.

I've been told that it's orgo. I'm sure different schools have different opinions, but the rationale proposed to me makes sense:

1) The skills required to do well are the same as those needed for success in med school (memorization and 3-D spatial relations).

2) The pace at which the course moves (tremendous volume of material) is similar to med school.

Again, your mileage may vary.

None of them is weighted more heavily than the others. You are expected to complete all of the prereqs (hence, the "prereq" part), and you are expected to do well in all of them. If you didn't do well in one or more prereq, then yes, the poor grades will probably be discussed when your file is reviewed during the adcom meeting. Otherwise, your coursework usually won't be discussed at all.
according to LizzyM, physics and ochem are looked at more closely by at least her school.

i think those are the two most premeds struggle with the most so it makes sense.

I've been told that it's orgo. I'm sure different schools have different opinions, but the rationale proposed to me makes sense:
Whoever told you this stuff was either messing with you or is full of .....

1) The skills required to do well are the same as those needed for success in med school (memorization and 3-D spatial relations).
I guess it's fair to say that people who can't hack organic chem probably couldn't hack med school, but the opposite is not going to necessarily follow. Organic spatial relations needed for success in medical school? That rationale is totally bizarre. :laugh:

2) The pace at which the course moves (tremendous volume of material) is similar to med school.
This made me laugh even more than the spatial skills thing. Nothing about your organic chemistry class will remotely resemble your med school classes, including the pace and volume of material.

Again, your mileage may vary.
I'm sorry if I'm mocking your best friend or your mother or something, but I can't imagine anyone who has been through med school actually believing your two points. Who knows though, maybe there really are med schools out there where they need organic spatial skills to succeed. :rofl:

Hahahhahahahaha

Memorization : Check. 3-D spatial relations : Uhm... like in anatomy? Not even close to the same thing.

hahahaha you are kidding, right?

There was nothing even slightly tremendous about organic chemistry in comparison.

Of course, one could make the argument that one or two day's worth of medical school is about equivalent to your undergrad class.

General Bio I/II
General Chemistry I/II
Physics I/II
Organic Chemistry I/II

Biology.