What is the most appropriate way to take my secondaries photo this year given our current circumstance? How did you decide to take your photo?

Sep 4, 2019
Like the title says, I am trying to figure out how to take a photo for my secondary applications given that pretty much all studios and photographers in my area are closed currently (for good reason, of course). I was wondering what would be an appropriate way to take my photo at home? I was planning on just dressing up and having someone take my photo against a colorless wall, then just passport sizing it to a 2 x 2 size.

Does that sound okay? Would love to hear everyone else's ideas too!

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No need to overthink this one. Put on professional dress, similar to what you would wear to an in person interview. Have someone take your photo in front of a blank of neutral wall (not everyone will have this so don't sweat). Professional smile, stand up straight, etc. Crop the photo as you typically would around the sternum and send it. An iPhone photo would be perfectly sufficient for this.

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Here are a few more tips:
Place the back of the chair at a right angle with the plain wall you are using as a background.
Sit with a large piece of white cardboard in your lap to reflect light onto your face.
Twist your torso slightly and turn your head toward the person taking the picture. This gives you less of a mug shot look.

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads
Mar 24, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Here are a few more tips:
Place the back of the chair at a right angle with the plain wall you are using as a background.
Sit with a large piece of white cardboard in your lap to reflect light onto your face.
Twist your torso slightly and turn your head toward the person taking the picture. This gives you less of a mug shot look.

Sounds like someone has a side hustle doing portraiture.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.