What is the most common interview day (of the week)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to work out my schedule for next fall and I will hopefully have several interviews. Are interviews held every day of the week or is there emphasis on one day? I am planning on making Monday my heavy day so I can be a little more flexible. Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)
Andrea

Members don't see this ad.

Lests55 said:
I am trying to work out my schedule for next fall and I will hopefully have several interviews. Are interviews held every day of the week or is there emphasis on one day? I am planning on making Monday my heavy day so I can be a little more flexible. Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)
Andrea
Mine have either been scheduled for Mondays or Fridays.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies.

Emory was Mon or Fri, Hopkins was Thurs or Fri, EVMS was Wed or Fri, UAB is Thurs only, VCU was every day but Fri... the list goes on.

At about half of the schools you'll have a choice of any day of the week to schedule your interview (sometimes with a Tuesday or Wednesday not available). Most other schools make Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays the principle days for interviews to allow for traveling on the weekends, etc.

I had the opportunity to schedule the majority of my interviews on Thursdays or Fridays so as to spend two or three days (including the weekend) in the town in which I was interviewing (I only did this if I was really interested in the school - hotels, after all, are damned expensive).

Good luck!

just to be different - most of my interviews have been either Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Mine have all been Monday or Friday, but there have always been other options (Tuesday, Wednesday)...

I scheduled Fridays off last semester, and could schedule quite a few of my interviews on Thursdays or Fridays. Monday was also a common option. But it really does vary, if you have time and know what schools you're looking at, you could go to MDapplicants.com and search for people who got interviews to those schools. Many people post when they interviewed, so you could see if certain days seem common for those schools...

I like Fridays/Mondays because you can sometimes stay longer at the school and see the city. Some of my interviewers also seemed to appreciate my desire to stay longer and see the area- they probably took it as a sign of true interest in their program.

On the other side, Mon/Fri interviews are often the busiest. At WashU I had 15-20 other interviewees with me on a Friday, while the current students said Weds usually had five or less. Which means you *may* get more individualized attention on middle weekdays...

I made my schedule for this semester with Fridays off in the hope that I could schedule interviews then and not miss too much class. Unfortunately, most of the schools where I've interviewed (9 total) did NOT have Friday interviews. Grrr. Most of mine have been on Thursdays.

If you're traveling across the country for most of your interviews, it's VERY nice to have Fri/Mon off. Thurs/Fri or Mon/Tues off would be amazing because then you can take a day to fly there, a day to interview, and a day to fly back without missing classes. I was able to get Fridays off, but I still had to miss many Thursdays to fly out for Friday interviews. I think every school I interviewed at offered Friday interviews though, which was nice.