What is the most important subject on Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peripateric

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this may sound foolish since everybody knows it's path...

so maybe I should ask, what is the next most important subject on Step 1?

or do you think that there really is a subject that is more important that path?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to agree with the above post, physiology.

I personally believe it is bahavioral science.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. physio
2. path
3. could be anything

don't be weak in any subject. my kryptonite was biochem, and i did not learn it as well as i should, thinking it would be ok. bit me right in the pooper.

I did alot of research on what topics are the biggest so I could prepare. It seems like the general agreement is that there is the big four: Pharm, Micro/Immuno, Physio, and Path.

Originally posted by Izlude_Tingel
I did alot of research on what topics are the biggest so I could prepare. It seems like the general agreement is that there is the big four: Pharm, Micro/Immuno, Physio, and Path.

can you rank them?

a recent article in AOA journal ranked subjects most important to passing the Boards.....Physiology was most important because it linked to all of the specialties...undertsnad Physiology and you understand medicine.....
However, the same can be said for Pathology

what i mean is importance not based on understanding (which is sort of a pre-requisite for learning) but rather a flat out distribution on the boards in terms of 'which brs subject review book would you rank to be your most valuable asset on usmle step 1?'.... it probably is physiology.... but is it?

keep coming.... :)