what is the most important subjects for medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momo91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i love physiology ,biochemistry ,anatomoy, pathology and microbiology , but hate histology , and i wanna be a surgeon ,

Members don't see this ad.

i love physiology ,biochemistry ,anatomoy, pathology and microbiology , but hate histology , and i wanna be a surgeon ,

Path. There was minimal histology on step I if I recall correctly; since then it hasn't really come up during my rotations. I think that's why we have pathologists.

All of them are the "most important."

The clinical science course that stands out the most is pathology. But how can you understand the pathophysiology of disease without the physiology? How can you understand bridging hepatic fibrosis on a path slide if you don't know what a liver looks like in histology?

If you Pathology course is actually a Mechanisms and Diagnosis course, thats the most important. If your pathology course is really pathology (looking at slides/pictures of disease states) than it is only a little more than histology and is useless.

The step cross-links their questions. There aren't any questions that say "what organ is this" to slide, but a picture of a blood smear or a thyroid will show up, and may be a clue to whatever they are getting at in the question.

Members don't see this ad :)

if you want to be a surgeon anatomy in M1. path in M2 for everything.

if you want to impress your attendings on surgery rotations when M3-4 rolls around, know your anatomy cold. they like to pimp you on anatomy espeically in the OR. Point at a structure, whats this?

anatomy itself is important for surgery as well, for obvious reasons.

Four pillars of medicine - anatomy, biochemistry, physiology and pathology.

sincerely disagree with biochem... most worthless crap i've ever learned whether for boards or clinically. perhaps if one's goal is life long medical research then it be useful, but for the majority...

I personally found biochem useless. Pharm is more of "applied" biochem and it makes a helluva lot more sense + actually is useful, more so than biochem ever was.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was quoting my anatomy professor, who said that if you learn those four really well, clinical subjects should be much easier – mostly just building on and connecting it all.

sincerely disagree with biochem... most worthless crap i've ever learned whether for boards or clinically. perhaps if one's goal is life long medical research then it be useful, but for the majority...

Haven't taken Step yet, but inclined to agree with this. Then again, I also hate biochem like the Irish hate sobriety.