What is the most outrageous thing anyone has ever done to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahL

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any stories that we SDNers should know about, especially for those on the waitlist? Just curious....

Members don't see this ad.

Well I don't think anybody would do what I have suggested.

Repeat the first year of med school to get into Pritzker.

Somebody try to top that.

It's not outrageous, but a know someone who got in from a waitlist by giving a copy of a storybook he authored for the kids he taught. He was initially told that he was low on the waitlist but he book really won the heart of the committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha..nice! :)

This guy my brother used to be friends with had a girlfriend who worked hard in undergrad, got a good GPA, did well on her MCAT, got some good clinical and research experience, published a few things, volunteered, wrote a decent personal statement and applied to a variety of schools.
:wink:

I bribed everyone on the John's Hopkins wait list above me with money I got from selling my fathers expensive paintings. Oh wait, that was a movie.

When I was at an interview, one of the other applicants told me that their student host was only waitlisted at one school, so without being accepted, he got on a flight went to the first day of orientation, and told them that he was their and ready to go in the case that anyone didn't show up to orientation. They told him that everyone was there. When he was on his way home, their was a note at his terminal not to get on the plane, because he had a spot in the class :)

I went down on one of my female interviewers. She was a young, hot faculty member. I got an immediate acceptance offer.

i solved a rubik's cube in under two minutes at a few of my interviews.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
•i solved a rubik's cube in under two minutes at a few of my interviews.•••••What's a rubik's cube? Which schools? And did they accept you?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
•i solved a rubik's cube in under two minutes at a few of my interviews.•••••What's a rubik's cube? Which schools? And did they accept you?

*sigh* I spent about $2000 on applications and traveling expenses, plus hundreds of hours on end working on application essays. It was pretty outrageous if you ask me.

I heard of someone who went to an interview without being invited... and then told them that he was invited over the phone. they went ahead and interviewed him anyway, but was put on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by LilMissDrDoolittle:
•••quote:••• What's a rubik's cube? ••••man, I am so old. later you guys, I'm off to get my social security check and box of depends...

<a href="http://www.puzzle-shop.de/rubiks-cube.html" target="_blank">http://www.puzzle-shop.de/rubiks-cube.html</a>

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sbajenkins:
•When I was at an interview, one of the other applicants told me that their student host was only waitlisted at one school, so without being accepted, he got on a flight went to the first day of orientation, and told them that he was their and ready to go in the case that anyone didn't show up to orientation. They told him that everyone was there. When he was on his way home, their was a note at his terminal not to get on the plane, because he had a spot in the class :) •••••This guy's got guts!! Maybe that's what I should do...

Okay, I have a confession to make. I am as obsessed with my favorite medical school as PelicanMan is with Pritzker. I have worked at this school for the last four years (since graduating from college), I know a million people here, and I want very, very badly to go here.

This is my situation -- I'd appreciate any advice you can give:

They said they wanted to finish interviewing last Thursday but might interview until this Thursday if necessary (although they really don't want to). I have appealed a post-secondary rejection and haven't heard back. I sent in a letter of intent and update on Monday, March 25, another letter of recommendation, and then emailed the associate dean of admissions yesterday and more or less pleaded for an interview. He is in his office this week but hasn't responded to the email. My questions are:

1. Should I drop by his office and try to meet with him? I work right across the street from his office.
2. Can a single "interview" with the associate dean of admissions substitute for an interview with a faculty member and student? I have never had an interview with a dean of admissions; mine have been with adcomm faculty members and students.
3. Should I do this tomorrow? I have other medical school interviews on Thursday and Friday of this week, so unless I cancel them my only chance to do it this week would be tomorrow.

I know there are tons and tons of great applicants, and I don't think I'm better than any of them. But I have letters of reference from two really famous people who are on all the same committees as this guy and I think I am a good applicant for this particular school: grades/scores above their average, nontraditional, tons of community service and research, literary interests outside of medicine, blah, blah, blah....

The receptionist at the admissions office seemed to think that there is a tiny, tiny chance that I could still get an interview. What do you think? I know I'm crazy, but I just can't help it..... :) I would very much appreciate your advice.

The PelicanMan says:

Do it tomorrow you got nothing to lose. Go for it.

I agree with PelicanMan. You definitely do not have anything to lose!

Thanks for the support. I just might do it. Any ideas on what I should say? I don't want to come off as annoying.

By the way, PelicanMan, I went to the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, for undergrad and have a lot of friends who went to Pritzker. I can't wait to hear when you get in!

Chicago is a great town. I'm glad that someone who's not from the Midwest actually appreciates it. Most people have no idea that Chicago is the third largest city in the country, or that is has great restaurants, fabulous museums, lots of culture, and real people instead of flaky ones like you sometimes run into here in California (not anyone on SDN, of course). Good luck to you!

I'm another Floridian that had never been to Chicago before my interview, and I knew full well it was a bad ass city.

Sarah,

I think you should definitely do it. "this school" that you are in love with is also the same school that I can't stop thinking about. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. If I were the Dean and you stopped by my office and shared your heart with me, I would listen. Just tell him how you feel and how you have been working hard with *%&$ in mind. You really have nothing to lose. Good luck.

I'm gonna get all gushy here. Since I've been out of school for several years I've had to apply without an advisor, and I am so grateful for everyone on SDN! Souljah1, anyone as nice as you are deserves to get into "the school that has no name." :) Lots of luck to you! It would be great if we ended up as classmates. Take care.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by LilMissDrDoolittle:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
•i solved a rubik's cube in under two minutes at a few of my interviews.•••••What's a rubik's cube? Which schools? And did they accept you?•••••HEY!! will smith did that in fresh prince and got into some ivy league school! :D

a rubiks cube is one of those cubes with a bunch of different colored squares and you try to match up all the colors on the various sides of the cube.