What is the most secondaries that...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwann

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you have heard someone submit for one application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

you have heard someone submit for one application cycle?

Around 30 complete... they applied to like 52 schools. This is someone I knew, but I bet someone on SDN posted larger numbers.

I think elijah already submitted over 30 this cycle ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
50 apps? That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "apply broadly." Then again, if money is not an issue, I don't see why not.

Okay, I'm not sure if it was 50 primaries or secondaries, but it was definitely around there I think. I think Elijah's somewhere around 40+, and I think I read somewhere someone else is also 40+.

Okay, I'm not sure if it was 50 primaries or secondaries, but it was definitely around there I think. I think Elijah's somewhere around 40+, and I think I read somewhere someone else is also 40+.

koko eats I believe

I want to know how the hell you can just have thousands of dollars sitting around to spend on everything

Wow... I think anything more than 20 is just going overboard. Period.

If you have FAP 2ndaries are free;)

But you still have to pay AMCAS fees after 13 schools, dont you?

So if you applied to 50 schools, thats 50-13=37 *30 = 1110

I think you can do a lot with $1110 than just apply.

That would mean i would apply to zero schools if i didnt spend 1000 on applying. If i go by your advice and apply 20 schools instead of the 40 i did apply to i save like 400 dollars...not a huge deal to make sure i would ideally not have to reapply.Also remember for cali residents its far different then the rest of the country. Even if i did spend a 1000, you guys spent that on 10 secondaries, i think of it as not a big deal since i saved thousands upon thousands in 2ndary fees. Just to add more my primarys were free through a grant so i paid nothing :p

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't get in anywhere this year, I am going to hit it really hard next year. Probably not 50 schools, but it's going to be a lot. :xf::xf:

Done: 35, Getting: 3, Awaiting Screen Decision: 6

So def doing 38 and possibly up to 44.

Done: 35, Getting: 3, Awaiting Screen Decision: 6

So def doing 38 and possibly up to 44.

35 done!:eek::eek::eek: I got 6 done out of like 30, and of course I picked like the 6 easiest :thumbup:. I got about 8 more waiting in the pile :scared:.

35 done!:eek::eek::eek: I got 6 done out of like 30, and of course I picked like the 6 easiest :thumbup:. I got about 8 more waiting in the pile :scared:.

Haha, I have 21 done, 4 more to go, altho Yale has been sitting in my inbox for over 2 weeks... not sure if its worth it.

I think some of you are underestimating the benefit to those with mediocre stats to apply excruciatingly broadly. You need to remember that med school admissions can be a crap shoot--thousands of qualified applicants get rejected every year.

I applied 2 yrs in a row w/out getting more than 1 interview. The 3rd year I got ~7 interviews, and an acceptance at a much more selective school than I expected. Everywhere I interviewed this year had preivously rejected me w/out interview.

I almost didn't send in the 2ndary to Keck, which was by far the most selective school where I was interviewed/accepted, and significantly more so than the most schools where I was rejected--so how would you have culled my application list? Because statistically, that should have been one of the first to be removed.

Most people I see who are applying to more than ~35 M.D. schools are applying to schools for which they are not actually a candidate. If you have mediocre stats, after you rule out schools that don't take OOS applicants and those for which your stats are more than 2 standard deviations below the average, it can be hard to have more schools.

If you have strong stats and still apply to more than 35, you're just masochistic :)

I've spent almost that on 9 schools. Applying to 50 for that same price is not a bad deal whatsoever.

I think some of you are underestimating the benefit to those with mediocre stats to apply excruciatingly broadly. You need to remember that med school admissions can be a crap shoot--thousands of qualified applicants get rejected every year.

I applied 2 yrs in a row w/out getting more than 1 interview. The 3rd year I got ~7 interviews, and an acceptance at a much more selective school than I expected. Everywhere I interviewed this year had preivously rejected me w/out interview.

I almost didn't send in the 2ndary to Keck, which was by far the most selective school where I was interviewed/accepted, and significantly more so than the most schools where I was rejected--so how would you have culled my application list? Because statistically, that should have been one of the first to be removed.

Most people I see who are applying to more than ~35 M.D. schools are applying to schools for which they are not actually a candidate. If you have mediocre stats, after you rule out schools that don't take OOS applicants and those for which your stats are more than 2 standard deviations below the average, it can be hard to have more schools.

If you have strong stats and still apply to more than 35, you're just masochistic :)

Agreed!

I've spent almost that on 9 schools. Applying to 50 for that same price is not a bad deal whatsoever.

True. I didn't think of it that way before.

what's 4000 or 5000 in order to secure your career? honestly do you guys want to do this process again? i don't think i can. so might as well suck it up, find the money and the time, and apply broadly.. especially if u have mediocre score like a poster above said

what's 4000 or 5000 in order to secure your career? honestly do you guys want to do this process again? i don't think i can. so might as well suck it up, find the money and the time, and apply broadly.. especially if u have mediocre score like a poster above said

Excellent point.:thumbup:

So, if you have the money and are willing to do the essays, there is absolutely no disadvantage to applying to 40 (i.e. a lot of) schools?

I remember my pre-health advisor mentioned applying to too many schools shows adcoms that you're indecisive, or something or another. But then again.. apparently adcoms don't see where else you applied... which completely trumps my advisor's statement :shifty:. I'm thinking of making a poll to see how helpful your guys' advisors are, cuz from what I've been reading lately, plenty of bad advice floating around. :rolleyes:

So, if you have the money and are willing to do the essays, there is absolutely no disadvantage to applying to 40 (i.e. a lot of) schools?

I remember my pre-health advisor mentioned applying to too many schools shows adcoms that you're indecisive, or something or another. But then again.. apparently adcoms don't see where else you applied... which completely trumps my advisor's statement :shifty:. I'm thinking of making a poll to see how helpful your guys' advisors are, cuz from what I've been reading lately, plenty of bad advice floating around. :rolleyes:

heyy you used that cute smilie :D :shifty:

I've submitted 24 and have (hopefully depending on screens) ~6-7 more to go.

If I had been doing these things a little slower, I'd probably have stopped once I started getting interviews. No interviews means I'm gonna keep going, though.

they cant see where u applied...only where you were accepted after that date in may. Then they can see if u hold multiple acceptances or not.

they cant see where u applied...only where you were accepted after that date in may. Then they can see if u hold multiple acceptances or not.

I'm pretty sure they can see where else you've been accepted in March. In May, they can see where you're holding a waitlist position as well.

I'm pretty sure they can see where else you've been accepted in March. In May, they can see where you're holding a waitlist position as well.
either way they still cant see where you applied.And if u have 8 acceptances would you really care at that point anywyas :p

So what happens if you are holding multiple acceptances after May 15? does the school have right to withdraw your acceptance then? Or how long can you hold multiple acceptances past May 15? Is there any solid date past May 15 that you have to make a decision?

My thoughts exactly :)

So what happens if you are holding multiple acceptances after May 15? does the school have right to withdraw your acceptance then? Or how long can you hold multiple acceptances past May 15? Is there any solid date past May 15 that you have to make a decision?
yes they can withdrawal acceptances if you have not made a timely decision. I believe each school kinda has their own policy on that...ive read on sdn that you shouldnt go much past 2 weeks or so. They techincally could withdrawal before that, so its best just to have your decision by may 15th and leave it at that. You can be on as many waitlists as you choose, but ideally you would withdrawal from ones you have no desire to go to if you are already accepted.

You aren't allowed to hold multiple acceptances past May 15th. If you do, the schools have the right to rescind their offers. If you get pulled off the waitlist after that date, you have two weeks (or so) to make a decision as to which acceptance you want to hold onto. There may be some slightly extenuating circumstances if you get pulled off a waitlist on, say, May 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.