What is the oral surgery experience at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering because we were told that at our school we get quite a bit when compared to other schools. So it got me curious: what kind of ext's are you guys doing as non-residents? Sectioning? 3rds?

At our school, they have us do competencies in 3rd molar removals, so we get quite a bit of exposure. They let us section roots with no problem, etc, etc. Is this the norm?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering because we were told that at our school we get quite a bit when compared to other schools. So it got me curious: what kind of ext's are you guys doing as non-residents? Sectioning? 3rds?

At our school, they have us do competencies in 3rd molar removals, so we get quite a bit of exposure. They let us section roots with no problem, etc, etc. Is this the norm?

We do a lot of surgical extractions, pre-prosth surgery, perio surgery. About the only thing we don't get to do is impacted thirds because you can never get enough of those to keep the residents busy.

We do it all. That’s the great thing about going to a school that has no advanced programs. We do surgical extractions, impacted 3rds, tori, vestibuloplasty and as much perio surgery (free gingival grafts, CT grafts, Crown lengthening) as you can find/want. Really the only procedures we don’t do are on patients that are severely medically compromised. Oh yeah we also place implants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear ya! It is so much fun to have the options to do these things instead of passing the buck to the residents. I have 3 pts getting implants this semester and we'll be able to participate as much or as little as the prof sees fit. We just convince the prof we're ready.:cool:

at loma linda, you get enoughg experience to know what you dont want to do in general practice. surely you wont do impacted 3rds, but you do get to do simple and surgical extractions, tori removal, things like that

What school do you attend becuase I think that is great.

At BU you have a 2 week rotation as a third year where you do anesthesia and simple extractions, and as a fourth year you also have a 2 week rotation where you can do a few third molars and some complex extractions. However, none of the surgery stuff becuase that gets transferred to the resdients in OMFS.

it is not uncommon at Temple for your very first clinical patient to be a full mouth extraction...happens quite a bit. You can pretty much do anything that both you and your instructor feel comfortable that you can do. I don't know many schools that can top that...I may be wrong.

At Case, we'll have to extract 25 teeth for our requirement. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Temple's requirement is close to 125 :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

and let the pissing contest begin!!! well, in the South, nobody has any teeth at all, so all we do as undergrads is place and restore implants for full mouth rehab. top that!

At Case, we'll have to extract 25 teeth for our requirement. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I can't imagine doing oral surgery in private practice with only 25 extractions. :eek: You're still figuring out the mechanics of simple extractions at that point, and that's the simplest part of oral surgery by a long shot.

I can't imagine doing oral surgery in private practice with only 25 extractions. :eek: You're still figuring out the mechanics of simple extractions at that point, and that's the simplest part of oral surgery by a long shot.

I know. It's working out alright for most of us. Many students do not care much about extractions. If anyone wanna gain more experiences, s/he just has to volunteer at The Free Clinic couple blocks away after school. I've been there everyday after school since 2nd yr and have extracted close to 1000 simple, surgical, wisdom, flap, vestibuloplasty ...