What is the outlook for future optometry careers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hautecouture

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are optometrists in demand? Will they be in demand in the future? What's the outlook?

Thanks for all answers in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Go read in the "Optometry" section of this forum (not pre-optometry) and you'll get your answer there a million times over. Most people on these message boards tend to be pessimistic (sp?) when it comes to the field of optometry, just a warning. I think the outlook is fair, it's not horrible and it's not awesome, just in between somewhere. That's if you ask me. But go troll through the other forum, this subject has been beaten to death.

Members don't see this ad :)
Visit [email protected] to find out how it really is.

anything that is said by someone who is banned should be taken with a grain of salt. if you go to any profession on here they are all worried about over saturation of their profession. sometimes i wonder if the profession bashers are people who couldn't get into the school, dropped out or couldn't handle school, or joined the profession merely for the money.

I can observe an incredible amount of blind faith in many students, myself included. Being on the other side of the student/doctor division, I remember reading much of these posts that expose the negative side of the profession.

My observation and experience has shown the development of an educational culture built upon the doctoral health professions and has turned into a cash cow for educators. They are selling (what is now for Optometry) a student created dream. The premiums for that dream are predatory in Optometry. This is a fact.

It is hard to look at and decipher the posts since they are tied to a lot of negative emotion. I can sympathize as the inequalities and problems are lived daily and stand in sobering contrast to what schools and colleges of optometry sell to students. In my opinion, they are the most valuable information on these forums. We do not want to confront it because we are so invested.

It's a tough situation for students. Nearing the end of an undergrad program and not having a clear path of whats next. It takes courage to stray from the mechanical course of your peers.

These questioning posts from students are dead on to my own mindset several years back. I wish you could really absorb my advice to relax, take some time and investigate your options. Unfortunately, those people will be a minority.