• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

What is the plural of bolus?

What is the plural of bolus?

• Total voters
About the Ads

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
  • Jul 26, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      Would love for it to be "boli," as I am a huge fan of the us --> i pluralism. However, "boluses" just seems right in our context.

Maybe we should do a retrospective chart review to validate its use? Red journal worthy, certainly.

• Haha
      Reactions: 1 user

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
      May 7, 2014
      1. Attending Physician
        Bolus is from the Greek so the answer is boluses. In Latin second declension masculine -us usually becomes -i in the plural. Many mistakenly use opus, opera as an exception but everyone knows that opus is third declension neuter.

Reactions: 1 users

scarbrtj

I Don't Like To Bragg
        5+ Year Member
        Dec 18, 2015
        1. Attending Physician
          English, a Germanic language, is so confusing for pluralization. If you were in Greece or Rome ~1000-2000y ago and wanted to say "lump" you wouldn't have added an English sounding "-es" to the Greek or Latin words; the end sound would sound like "oy eye" or "eye" (or Latin "ee" really). The peribolus (peribolos) when pluralized is spelled as and sounds as "periboloi"(Greek-ish) or "periboli" (Latin-ish). Medicine/science tends to follow the Greek/Latin pretty closely, by tradition, but has allowed some exceptions from this as in the case of uterus/uteruses. But it's been few and far between. Think how odd English pluralization would be for:

Alveolus -> alveoli
          Embolus -> emboli
          Nucleolus -> nucleoli
          Malleolus -> malleoli

So I think by tradition, for sure, and I believe on technicality, I'm less sure, "boluses" is a mistake. But not a huge one. I believe the best example is "embolus," because I really have never read "emboluses." FWIW I say "boli"... but I also say octopi.

EDIT: As an aside, whenever Ebola and E. coli are in the news at the same time, surprising to hear how many lay people say "Did you hear about that E. boli breakout?"

Last edited:

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
          May 7, 2014
          1. Attending Physician
            Each dictionary site I can find says boluses.

medgator

Persona Non Grata
            Lifetime Donor
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 20, 2004
            1. Attending Physician
              Boli. - BOWL-eye. But in clinical practice I'm not going to bat an eye if people say boluses.

To differentiate from Boli (BOH-lee), asmentioned above by medgator
              Or bolo.... Like the tie

scarbrtj

I Don't Like To Bragg
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 18, 2015
              1. Attending Physician
                Each dictionary site I can find says boluses.

Your point about the Greek was good... perhaps it should really be "boloi"? The Greek βωλος ("bolos": a lump, which became the Latin bolus) plural is βώλοι ("boloi"). Makes sense since peribolus plural is periboloi. But wow, emboloi would be a tongue twister.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.