What is the plural of bolus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the plural of bolus?

• Total voters

taserlaser

From the Great White North 🇨🇦
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured a light hearted topic was in order. The topic came up in chart review, with some preferring one term or the other. A quick search shows both used in the published literature. So, what is your preferred term?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would love for it to be "boli," as I am a huge fan of the us --> i pluralism. However, "boluses" just seems right in our context.

Maybe we should do a retrospective chart review to validate its use? Red journal worthy, certainly.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Bolus is from the Greek so the answer is boluses. In Latin second declension masculine -us usually becomes -i in the plural. Many mistakenly use opus, opera as an exception but everyone knows that opus is third declension neuter.

Reactions: 1 users
English, a Germanic language, is so confusing for pluralization. If you were in Greece or Rome ~1000-2000y ago and wanted to say "lump" you wouldn't have added an English sounding "-es" to the Greek or Latin words; the end sound would sound like "oy eye" or "eye" (or Latin "ee" really). The peribolus (peribolos) when pluralized is spelled as and sounds as "periboloi"(Greek-ish) or "periboli" (Latin-ish). Medicine/science tends to follow the Greek/Latin pretty closely, by tradition, but has allowed some exceptions from this as in the case of uterus/uteruses. But it's been few and far between. Think how odd English pluralization would be for:

Alveolus -> alveoli
Embolus -> emboli
Nucleolus -> nucleoli
Malleolus -> malleoli

So I think by tradition, for sure, and I believe on technicality, I'm less sure, "boluses" is a mistake. But not a huge one. I believe the best example is "embolus," because I really have never read "emboluses." FWIW I say "boli"... but I also say octopi.

EDIT: As an aside, whenever Ebola and E. coli are in the news at the same time, surprising to hear how many lay people say "Did you hear about that E. boli breakout?"

Last edited:
Boli. - BOWL-eye. But in clinical practice I'm not going to bat an eye if people say boluses.

To differentiate from Boli (BOH-lee), asmentioned above by medgator

Boli. - BOWL-eye. But in clinical practice I'm not going to bat an eye if people say boluses.

To differentiate from Boli (BOH-lee), asmentioned above by medgator
Or bolo.... Like the tie

Each dictionary site I can find says boluses.

Your point about the Greek was good... perhaps it should really be "boloi"? The Greek βωλος ("bolos": a lump, which became the Latin bolus) plural is βώλοι ("boloi"). Makes sense since peribolus plural is periboloi. But wow, emboloi would be a tongue twister.

Figured a light hearted topic was in order. The topic came up in chart review, with some preferring one term or the other. A quick search shows both used in the published literature. So, what is your preferred term?
10 mm.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users