1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is the point?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Nanon, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

What is the point of memorizing every freaking enzyme and reaction mechanism of TCA, glycolysis, and every other pathway they shove down our throats in biochem? Does anyone actually remember this stuff a nanosecond past the time they walk out of a test? I mean, yes. We need to know that these pathways exist, and why they're important. But I don't think that my life or anyone else's will depend on me knowing every stupid step and product of TCA by heart. There are books for that. I am a college student. I can look it up, if I need to, later in life. But I won't.

It just feels like a god-awful waste of time and brain space, and it's boring, too. I'm running out of patience. Please prove me wrong...

Nanon

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

there is no point. sorry.

4. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

I thought so. :mad:

5. lady bug

7+ Year Member

I feel the same way. Even though you may get bogged down in memorizing all this for the exam, what's really important is that you walk way with the 'big picture' and have a general understanding of the biochemistry as it actually relates to what takes place in living systems. Last week I was studying a chapter on hemoglobin/myoglobin and memorizing all this crap about the oxygenation/deoxygenation in its different conformational states....then I was shadowing a plastic surgeon and he pointed out a hemociderin acculumation in a patient and explained how it happened.....I thought that was pretty cool (not to sound arrogant or anything), but I was exited that I could actually see a purpose to what I was studying.

6. DrM

DrM Member
    7+ Year Member

While it is doubtful that anybody actually remembers 'all' the details of a given pathway etc., Having studied it at least once allows for future recognition and subsequent quick revision. Furthermore many diseases and cures involve complex biochemical systems. Not having been fully exposed to biochemical pathways and nomenclature etc. could make medically related Journal reading and future research pretty darn tedious.

7. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was just interviewing at Case and some of the first years were telling me about this video the second years made for them. They went around the teaching hospital with a video camera asking doctors random biochem questions, and none of them knew the answers. They also made a video of a bunch of their professors doin' the "WAAASSSAAAPPPP" thing. Damn, I want to go there.

8. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Sure was funny :laugh:

9. siempre595

7+ Year Member

They just want to see if you CAN remember stuff. That's the only point. That, and you never know when you'll need to explain aldolase to a patient 30 years from now.....yea, right.

10. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

well, there is such a thing as medical biochemistry....it helps you in some specialties of internal medicine. Dont bash it that bad....or you wont know what happens in alcaptonuria, lesh-nyhan syndrome, and maple-syrup urine disease.

;)

11. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

Being the eternal optimist, I have had faith thus far that there is some purpose to every mind-numbing educational hoop I've jumped through... but for the last two weeks I've been memorizing enzymatic pathways - long ones. At least 25. They're all starting to blend together.

I understand the importance of being aware of these pathways and what they do. I'm a "big picture" kind of girl. I just get easily frustrated at memorizing minutia in an intellectual vacuum. I guess I better get used to it. ;)

Nanon

12. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it's the one I remember---the one that was made when we were second years, they ask this older doctor about how many ATP you can get from glucose.

His response:

"How in the hell can you get ATP from glucose?"

mike

13. Meridian

Meridian Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i like memorizing.. i wish there was more stuff to memorize..

14. Iffy premed

Iffy premed Premed No More
    7+ Year Member

HAHAHA:laugh:
    I would love to have that doctor interview me, then I am sure there will be no hard, pricky research questions

15. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  16. PelicanMan

PelicanMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I disagree. Now this may be just me, but a big part of biochemisty has to do with how it is taught. I had a really good biochemistry teacher for parts of the course.

If you understand the biochemical pathways, you see what would go wrong if there was a problem in a certain step in the process.

For me I like to understand on a molecular level why someone gets sick. That is why its important to understand biochemisty and the pathways.

For me its pretty interesting too, but I know that I am probably in the minority.

Everyone is going to have to take classes they don't like. But by doing that it helps you decide on what kind of career you want or what kind of doctor you want to be.

Look at things in a positive way.
    I guess I'm in a really good mood, and can't wait to start medical school, and right now i'm out of school and bored.

Just the PelicanMans ideas