What is the process to transfer from one residency to another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERoss

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im having the time of my life

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How to deal with the licence?
When I quit?
When to interview?
Do I need to do caspr?

Call CASPR and discuss this with them.

Some people re-enter the match.
Others send letters to residency directors explaining their situation seeking a position. If the letter works and you are offered a position, then when you start/stop becomes a discussion with the new residency director.

I would not quit until you have something concrete (contract signed) lined up.

How to deal with the licence?
When I quit?
When to interview?
Do I need to do caspr?

It really depends on how you want to transfer. If you prefer to re-enter into another program as a PGY-1, you would need to submit a CASPR application to AACPM for the match program. The deadline for this has passed. The only other way to get into another PGY-1 position would be to wait until the scramble and submit the required documents that the scramble program wants. Scramble programs will let you know if they will be offering you an interview after reviewing your documents.

There are programs that have openings for the PGY-1/2/3 that occur throughout the year. Most of them are usually posted on here: http://www.casprcrip.org/html/residencies/Cas_wnew.asp
Some other positions may be found via word of mouth, through school's graduate placement office, or through sending letters to various residency directors. If you do decide to transfer into a program this route, you will need to submit all require documents that the transferring program needs. They are usually listed as part of the announcement. Upon reviewing the materials, they may offer you an interview. If you do get accepted, that would be when you need to deal with any licensing issues. If you stay in the same state, there will be no licensing issue for you. If you are going to a different state, you would need to apply for the full license or training license in that state. If you are coming to a state like PA and you have not taken NBPME Part 3 right after graduating from Podiatry school, you will not be able to get a license until you sit for and pass the NBPME Part 3 exam. When you are accepted, the residency director from your current program will need to submit to the residency director of the program that is accepting you the following documents: training schedule, signed assessments, signed resident logs from the start of the program, and any signed residency certificate (which probably won't be applicable in your case). The new program will need this information to get you the credit from CPME for what you have done so far in your residency training. Ideally, you would quit your current program around the same time you start at the new residency program. It would be easier that you complete your year out in good standing before you transfer, so that you can get credit for the year.

I hope that this helps.

Last edited: