What is the purpose of CORE exam percentile scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedSurvivor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the CORE exam percentile scores have any impact on fellowship applications?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t seen it make any difference
Many fellowship directors within Mohs or dermpath may not even know about the CORE exams

Do the CORE exam percentile scores have any impact on fellowship applications?
Our residency program internally put a lot of weight on the percentile scores so it did have an impact on how residency faculty viewed the residents and perhaps, in turn, what kind of LOR they may write for fellowship applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
They shouldn't. I am on one of my residency program's committees, and we use them (combined with other things) to gauge how well residents are learning the material in terms of advancing through residency. I don't think a fellowship director would care too much about them. There may be a few that know about them and then even fewer who know about them and use them...maybe.

Plus, if they are anything like the old ITE, there can be odd things that happen with the percentile vs percentage depending on year taken and so forth.

Reactions: 1 users
Several Mohs programs requested to know my percentiles when applying.

Reactions: 1 user
The purpose of CORE exam percentile scores, in my mind, is to give residents feedback on what areas they are strong vs. weak in preparation for boards, and to give programs feedback on how well they are prepping residents in different aspects of derm. I don't know how much fellowships in general are looking at or asking for CORE exam scores, but the one I'm familiar with isn't focused on them.