What is the reason for med school silence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know apps are not reviewed in the order they are received, yada yada...
But given that I’ve had silence for about 15 schools since the past 4 months, do you think it’s likely my apps are
A) on hold
B) in reject pile
C) not reviewed yet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
D) all of the above

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Rejection is forever and so some schools choose not to burn any bridges. They also triage their efforts and put the bulk of their time into really working the candidates that they find highly desirable -- to get them in for an interview and to get them to say yes to an offer. The rest can wait until the end of the season. Some schools will send out rejections as an act of mercy but some schools are going to hang on to you on the off chance that your Uncle Maximilian is a huge supporter of the school and this connection was not fully appreciated until Uncle Max's most recent appearance at a fund raising dinner brought this to the Dean's attention.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection is forever and so some schools choose not to burn any bridges. They also triage their efforts and put the bulk of their time into really working the candidates that they find highly desirable -- to get them in for an interview and to get them to say yes to an offer. The rest can wait until the end of the season. Some schools will send out rejections as an act of mercy but some schools are going to hang on to you on the off chance that your Uncle Maximilian is a huge supporter of the school and this connection was not fully appreciated until Uncle Max's most recent appearance at a fund raising dinner brought this to the Dean's attention.

Thats pretty cold for a room of altruistic professionals searching for similar candidates, no?

Reactions: 4 users
Thats pretty cold for a room of altruistic professionals searching for similar candidates, no?

Nah, medicine is a business at the end of the day. It’s unfortunate but it’s pretty much what it’s come to, when push comes to shove w/ insurances & admin.

I just wish they didn’t delay the inevitable though.

I actually smile whenever I get an email from a school (even if it’s a rejection.) It’s more like: oh that’s one less thing to worry about *deletes email*

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Friend, I'm a reapplicant! I have like thirty of these sleeping in my inbox.

Last edited:
Not at all. I know how it feels. Best of luck to you!

Regarding OP's post: in my previous cycle, bunch of schools remained silent essentially until the new year, rejection started to roll in around late January, and became a torrent towards the end of March. Bunch came in April, too.

One school never even bothered sending rejection letter...hi wayne state

Some schools will send out rejections as an act of mercy but some schools are going to hang on to you on the off chance that your Uncle Maximilian is a huge supporter of the school and this connection was not fully appreciated until Uncle Max's most recent appearance at a fund raising dinner brought this to the Dean's attention.

*staples a $20 to my application* and there's more from where that came from ;)

Reactions: 6 users
It really is an incredible process. A friend and I submitted the exact same week with identical MCAT and nearly identical GPA. I've had 2 "top 20" interviews and two "low-tier"/unranked while he's interviewed at two unranked schools- one of which is my alma mater who has left me on 'read' since the day I submitted :confused:

Not at all. I know how it feels. Best of luck to you!

Regarding OP's post: in my previous cycle, bunch of schools remained silent essentially until the new year, rejection started to roll in around late January, and became a torrent towards the end of March. Bunch came in April, too.

One school never even bothered sending rejection letter...hi wayne state

Damn that sucks... what did you do to improve your application this time around?

It really is an incredible process. A friend and I submitted the exact same week with identical MCAT and nearly identical GPA. I've had 2 "top 20" interviews and two "low-tier"/unranked while he's interviewed at two unranked schools- one of which is my alma mater who has left me on 'read' since the day I submitted :confused:

Sometimes it can be luck of the draw. You and your friend might have been sent to different reviewers and one was swift and the other is not and so one of you languishes for what seems like no apparent reason.

Also, something about an application can stir a happy memory in a reviewer (it could be as mundane as the fact that you attended his father's alma mater) and that little unconscious bias will push you ahead through the queue.