What is the relative importance of secondary app essays compared to one's Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrillyBassily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some secondaries now and my answers are a little uninspired compared to the work of art I had for my PS, I literally poured my heart out onto the page.

For the secondary essays, the questions are kind of limiting, and it's very hard to make yourself stand out while answering these very generic prompts. As well, the character limit is much smaller than that of the PS and I'm having trouble incorporating personal anecdotes that relate to the question being asked.

For all these reasons, I can't help but think most schools put far less weight on the answers to these questions compared to all other aspects of the application. Am I correct in saying this, or should I be putting in much more thought and effort into my answers?

If anyone here has actual experience reading these apps for med schools, i'd love to hear your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Treat them like you would anything else. If the questions weren't important to the schools they wouldn't ask them. I know it's gonna sound oversimplified but - Secondaries help you get an interview, interviews help you get in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing some secondaries now and my answers are a little uninspired compared to the work of art I had for my PS, I literally poured my heart out onto the page.

For the secondary essays, the questions are kind of limiting, and it's very hard to make yourself stand out while answering these very generic prompts. As well, the character limit is much smaller than that of the PS and I'm having trouble incorporating personal anecdotes that relate to the question being asked.

For all these reasons, I can't help but think most schools put far less weight on the answers to these questions compared to all other aspects of the application. Am I correct in saying this, or should I be putting in much more thought and effort into my answers?

If anyone here has actual experience reading these apps for med schools, i'd love to hear your input.

Here's how I'll put it. If you half-ass your secondaries you're decreasing your chances of getting an interview. There are many schools in which the PS really doesn't carry much weight and is only brought up AFTER your interview when your application is on the table for consideration (and even then, there are multiple people on the AdCom and they are considering many things, not just your PS or your secondaries).

I know it's a tiring and grueling process to keep writing but put in 120% and you'll see results. I know which secondaries I didn't put much effort into (UNECOM comes to mind) and I got flat out rejected. The ones who decide to invite your for an interview can tell who put in the effort to write good secondaries.

I would say to treat the secondaries as extensions of your primary essay that is supposed to "fit" the schools mission, goals, vision, and class. Reflect on your experiences (even if you have to rehash and experience from your PS) to show what you bring to your class (and I mean end your secondaries with saying "I feel that these experiences I've had would bring X, Y, and Z to your class").

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question LOL
I spent like two months writing my personal statement (with 20 plus major revisions) and if I put in the same effort/time it will prob take me one year to write all secondaries hahah

I have the same question LOL
I spent like two months writing my personal statement (with 20 plus major revisions) and if I put in the same effort/time it will prob take me one year to write all secondaries hahah

I'm a perfectionist too. The point isn't to create perfection, but something that gets a genuine message across. Someone is reading hundreds, possibly thousands of these. Make yours enjoyable and give the person reading it the feeling that you could be their doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app