What is the role of diversity offices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTfutureMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear all over that med schools have these offices and I'm just curious about what there role is. I mean, I get that they are there for support. But what kind of support do urm need? In another thread most people said that they have not experienced racism at their institution and that they feel part of the broader medical community. So I'm curious what kind of support might I be on he lookout for while applying to schools.

Also- med students and physicians- med school is often described as like drinking from a fire hydrant. Can someone please break down how on earth anyone can excel at drinking water from a fire hydrant? Is it understood that even though you are flooded with information that you will only master a certain percentage of it? How does all this work.

Lastly, I know of a thread for nontraditional students that answers this question but I am interested in hearing the urm perspective- what things do you know now as a medical student/ physician that you wished you knew before selecting schools to apply to and before actually selecting schools? What are important questions to ask myself before committing to paying for a school to consider my application?

Thank you kindly- I'm trying to submit my amcas by the end of this week, so you insight is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

You question is extremely loaded which may be why folks have viewed but not replied. I can help answer a couple of your questions.

I hear all over that med schools have these offices and I'm just curious about what there role is. I mean, I get that they are there for support. But what kind of support do urm need? In another thread most people said that they have not experienced racism at their institution and that they feel part of the broader medical community. So I'm curious what kind of support might I be on he lookout for while applying to schools.

Diversity offices have many roles but they are mainly there to support you from the time you enter until you leave. When I was applying for medical school the diversity office at UMD got me in touch with minority students at their school before my interview to answer any questions I had. Vanderbilt's Diversity Dean interviewed me before I had my other interviews. Many diversity office's dole out scholarships for minorities, and if there is an issue with a professor or class that you feel is related to how you look then they are there to be your advocate rather than you sticking your neck out by yourself. You will need this office whether your experience rascism or not during your matriculation.

Also- med students and physicians- med school is often described as like drinking from a fire hydrant. Can someone please break down how on earth anyone can excel at drinking water from a fire hydrant? Is it understood that even though you are flooded with information that you will only master a certain percentage of it? How does all this work.

Its described like that because its just a ridiculous amount of information to learn. But you know what, when I had my first biology class in college I thought it as too much to learn too...then you adjust. In the same way, that first month of medical school will be insane, but by the end of your second year of medical school you will be a pro at studying for 10 hrs a day. You learn to adjust and even though the fire hydrant hasn't let up at all, your drinking endurance increased (sorry I tried to keep with the analogy ,lol).

Lastly, I know of a thread for nontraditional students that answers this question but I am interested in hearing the urm perspective- what things do you know now as a medical student/ physician that you wished you knew before selecting schools to apply to and before actually selecting schools? What are important questions to ask myself before committing to paying for a school to consider my application?

Thank you kindly- I'm trying to submit my amcas by the end of this week, so you insight is much appreciated!!