What is the timeline (for residents) for applying to jobs if you are not doing a fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Copper_Tracker

Reaction score
When did you start applying? End of 3rd year? Beginning of 4th year? Any strategy for who/how to contact local hospitals

Members don't see this ad.

I started sending inquires out in the October prior to graduating (June). I also needed the time because I was moving myself and my family out of state. It was a big process between finding a position, selling my house, and finding a new home.

If you’ve spoken with Practice Link or Practice Match, I’m amazed they’re not already blowing your phone up. If you haven’t spoken with either, that‘s a very easy place to start. I can’t vouch for how great either one of them is, as I went into private practice, but I‘m still getting emails/texts/phone calls several times a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can start contacting jobs now.

If you’ve spoken with Practice Link or Practice Match, I’m amazed they’re not already blowing your phone up. If you haven’t spoken with either, that‘s a very easy place to start. I can’t vouch for how great either one of them is, as I went into private practice, but I‘m still getting emails/texts/phone calls several times a week.

I was dumb enough to give Practice Link my contact information at the beginning of intern year and I can attest that the bolded is true.

How does one find out about private practice opportunities? I have a resident now who wants to join a private practice (not his own) but doesn't know how to look for one.

How does one find out about private practice opportunities? I have a resident now who wants to join a private practice (not his own) but doesn't know how to look for one.
I was lucky in that more than a few of our faculty were in private practice, and only adjunct with the residency program. During my fourth year, I did a PP elective with one of the C&L folks and when I mentioned an interest, he asked if I’d like to come on board. I spoke with two other faculty members with two different groups, and after comparing notes, decided to join with the gentleman that originally offered.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it generally wise to contact head hunters through the larger companies? Trying to debate if I want to do that or not. I am currently a PGY3, so probably ahead of the game here somewhat, but I want to start thinking about jobs now

Do your own google mapping and recon of possible places in PGY-III.
Don't start calling places until September of PGY-IV.

Reactions: 1 users