what is the timeline for taking the various levels of the COMLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like Level 1 is in that period after MS2 and before rotations

Is it possible to take Level 2 at the end of MS3

and then Level 3 at the end of MS4?

Members don't see this ad.

I know most people take COMLEX II during 4th year, and COMLEX III during internship.

I have heard of some who took COMLEX III, after being approved the summer before internship.

I would recommend taking level II after or toward the end of third year. Rotations can add a huge amount to your knowledge base, and personally I did reasonably well on level I and much better on level II after a year of rotations.

I know most people take COMLEX II during 4th year, and COMLEX III during internship.

I have heard of some who took COMLEX III, after being approved the summer before internship.

I would recommend taking level II after or toward the end of third year. Rotations can add a huge amount to your knowledge base, and personally I did reasonably well on level I and much better on level II after a year of rotations.

so you're saying take level 1 after MS2, and level 2 at the end of MS3 (or in early part of MS4)?

If this is the case, when would you suggest to take Level 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
We took Level I at the end of MS2.

I took Level II August of my 4th year.

I'm taking Level III whenever I can fit it in, and have time to study for it, during my internship.

I will take level III at least after I'd a month of IM and possibly ICU since those months will encompass a lot of what will be on boards.

Realize that more and more residency programs are looking for Step 2 grades when considering applicants. I have heard of a few programs actually requiring Step 2 board scores as well.

This is how I took mine:
Step I: End of Second Year
Step II: End of Third/Beginning of Fourth
Step III: As soon as I could take it and get it over with. You have to have your DME sign a paper that says you are in a residency/internship in order to register for the exam.