What is the true meaning of silent rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what is the true meaning of silent rejection?
Does it mean that, 1) the school wont send you any snail mail or emial to notify you that you are rejected, but if you log in to your online status page, you will see that your file has already been closed and you are rejected.

or 2) Even if you log in to your online status page, you will see things like "your application is complete, please be patient while your application is being reviewed." But in fact the school has silently rejected you already?

So I wonder if "silent-rejection" means 1) or 2).

-longhorn09

Members don't see this ad.

Plus, I think it is kinda disrepectful that some schools do silent rejection... Think about the $$ and effort that we have been paid, we deserve at least a formal notification of rejection.

It means you are never notiffied that your application is rejected, by snail mail, email, or online status. That even if you call the admissions office a month before a new class starts, they tell you your application will be re-reviewed at the next meeting. The only way you know it's over is when the new class starts and you have still heard nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus, I think it is kinda disrepectful that some schools do silent rejection... Think about the $$ and effort that we have been paid, we deserve at least a formal notification of rejection.

I agree with this. I can understand that they may want to hold off on closing files, but I think there needs to be more transparency. They should update your status page with a pre-interview hold or something.

Basically, it means that a school has already decided to reject you, but won't tell you for another few months or ever.

Exactly. If we shell out $70-100 on the secondary fees, take the time to fill them out, etc they should at least send us the formal rejection letters. I think it's very disrespectful when they don't do that.

so, do we have a list of schools with silent rejections?

Reactions: 1 user
It means you are never notiffied that your application is rejected, by snail mail, email, or online status. That even if you call the admissions office a month before a new class starts, they tell you your application will be re-reviewed at the next meeting. The only way you know it's over is when the new class starts and you have still heard nothing.

WHY do they do that? Pathetic is the only word for it.

Damn...that's a hardcore rejection!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oftentimes, these schools don't have a good status-checker or you are eternally "under review". If you email them or call, them just tell you they haven't decided yet.

I almost want to refuse to apply to any schools that do silent rejections based on principle...

This thread made me laugh because today I actually got an email from a school I applied to last year and never got a rejection from "inviting me to reapply." It was the first time they've acknowledged me since about this time last year!

Ha, i remember someone on the psu thread saying she got a rejection letter 1 month after classes started

Med schools don't want any empty spots in their classes. They accept more applicants than they can absorb understanding that many will attend elsewhere. Often they will overshoot and accept too many; other years they might undershoot and not accept enough, leaving the class incompletely filled, which they really don't like. By "silently rejecting" I think they are just leaving themselves with as much breathing room as possible in case May 15 comes and the class is not full. They have nothing to gain from formally rejecting.

I wonder if these schools have wait-lists? If not, then that reasoning would make sense...

Med schools don't want any empty spots in their classes. They accept more applicants than they can absorb understanding that many will attend elsewhere. Often they will overshoot and accept too many; other years they might undershoot and not accept enough, leaving the class incompletely filled, which they really don't like. By "silently rejecting" I think they are just leaving themselves with as much breathing room as possible in case May 15 comes and the class is not full. They have nothing to gain from formally rejecting.

I wonder if these schools have wait-lists? If not, then that reasoning would make sense...
But even if that's the case, they won't have time to interview students that late in the game...

Let me guesss....
you applied to 5,7,9,10,&11?

lol. i went back and check... and ....

maybe shouldnt be surprised... but ... ure right...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

now tell me how u did that? memorize my mdapps?

lolz

lol. i went back and check... and ....

maybe shouldnt be surprised... but ... ure right...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

now tell me how u did that? memorize my mdapps?

lolz
Haha! Nah, I didn't memorize your mdapps. I just imagined if I were you, which 5 schools would I pick to apply. And, it turned out that we have the same mind.:cool:

^ i like you.

i hope i get to see u on the interview trail. ive met another texan and hes a really nice person!

unfortunately, you seem out of my league. oh well :( hahaha!!!
but yeah, i like observant and insightful people! and i pray that all my interviewers are like that.. then they can see the true me! :D

unfortunately, you seem out of my league. oh well :( hahaha!!!
but yeah, i like observant and insightful people! and i pray that all my interviewers are like that.. then they can see the true me! :D
That's true.

Hey who knows, maybe we will have more interviews yet to come! ( and I pray for that).:D

Wayne State gave me the cold shoulder. There were also several other schools that took forever to send me a rejection. Tulane, Louisville, and UIC come to mind, but I'm sure there were more. Those contrasted sharply with Georgetown whose rejection came within 3 days of my application. Awesome.

That is soooo not the case. They can accept people all the way until the first day of class, so it's really difficult for them to "undershoot". Many schools also don't overaccept, at all, and even when they do, they almost NEVER end up overaccepting by orientation.

Ha, i remember someone on the psu thread saying she got a rejection letter 1 month after classes started

That must have been very sad. I just got rejected from medical school. Wait, I am already in medical school. There are no good reasons for silent rejections. Thanks to emails, it does not cost anything to send rejection letters.

Last edited:
You can add Loyola.
1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA
12. University of Vermont
13. Loyola

Haha, thank you!!! :)

at uvm I'm still in the preliminary review status... For the 11th week now....

they tend to take forever. it took them 2 months just to verify me (actually not sure exactly how long it was since after a while I just gave up on checking...but definitely longer than the allotted 4-6 weeks). definitely frustrating

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA
13. Loyola
14. UT-Memphis

I added UT-Memphis because for two years now, I haven't heard a thing even though they received my primary application. :mad:

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA
13. Loyola
14. UT-Memphis

I added UT-Memphis because for two years now, I haven't heard a thing even though they received my primary application. :mad:
Maybe you will hear back from it next year;)

Remember to slap their faces when you get their call next year then ;)

If they called I would tell them I will think about it, then call them in two years with my decision. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

I had a few silent rejections. They were from lower tier schools that, I think, like to hold onto tons of apps until the end.

I got one very late interview invite -- I silently rejected it!!!

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as completely disrespectful. Respect is a two-way street. This is not Hollywood, where someone says "Don't call us; we'll call you." This is unprofessional.

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA
13. Loyola
14. UT-Memphis

Johns Hopkins rejected me pre-interview. so i was wondering if they deserve to be taken off this list?

Sorry to unearth this old thread but I can't find anything: is it silly to send in update/Loi to schools who have obv silently rejected you - like in Dec/January? (This is the case for a majority of the Philly schools where I applied.)