What is the value of an upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaronVonZ

The -$200,000 man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

I'm trying to sort out what schools to apply to, but I'm not really sure where I stand.

Freshman year my GPA was a 3.3, and my BCPM GPA was a 3.0. Unfortunately, I took 20 credits of science at that GPA.

The following 3 years, however, my GPA was a 3.9, raising my end GPA to a 3.7; my BCPM GPA was a 3.8, raising my BCPM GPA to a 3.6.

I think this qualifies as a significant upward trend, but I don't know what value this actually holds. Will adcomms look at me and think of me as virtually a 3.9/bcpm3.8 student, or will my overall GPA still make me an unattractive candidate to many schools?

Endless thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDNers,

I'm trying to sort out what schools to apply to, but I'm not really sure where I stand.

Freshman year my GPA was a 3.3, and my BCPM GPA was a 3.0. Unfortunately, I took 20 credits of science at that GPA.

The following 3 years, however, my GPA was a 3.9, raising my end GPA to a 3.7; my BCPM GPA was a 3.8, raising my BCPM GPA to a 3.6.

I think this qualifies as a significant upward trend, but I don't know what value this actually holds. Will adcomms look at me and think of me as virtually a 3.9/bcpm3.8 student, or will my overall GPA still make me an unattractive candidate to many schools?

Endless thanks for any insight.

They will look at as if you are virtually a 3.7 gpa student. But, it helps that you were able to raise it. But your GPA is right around the average for accepted student.

They will look at as if you are virtually a 3.7 gpa student.
So much for wishful thinking, then.
Would it be worthwhile trying to work the trend into my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
So much for wishful thinking, then.
Would it be worthwhile trying to work the trend into my personal statement?

Your PS is on the topic "Why do you want to go to medical school". How does that exemplify your desire to go to medical school? or How does it show you are qualified?

If it fits into one of those two questions, then put it in. If it doesn't, then save it for the secondaries or interviews. It is your PS, tell them why you want to go to med school not what we think.

OP, you are worrying way too much. Your gpa is average, maybe a little above average, for those accepted into med school each year. Plus it will help that you had an upward trend. You are fine. Adcoms look at your gpa progression over your undergraduate years, so they will see your upward trend. They understand that freshman year is an adjustment year. If you are worrying this much about a great gpa, you are gonna be a wreck when you apply and throughout medical school. So just know you are fine and worry about the other aspects of your application that you can control.