What is this? High school grades on the AMCAS?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serikk85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, could someone please explain this to me? I was glancing over a sample AMCAS and I saw high school courses listed. Do they really look at high school grades? If that's the case, bye-bye Hopkins. I sucked in high school (pulled some C's), but have a 3.97 in college.

Members don't see this ad.

no.
no.
no.

Not that I've ever seen, anyway...

It depends, the high school courses listed might be from dual enrollment. In that case, AMCAS will see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
the only HS courses you list are courses you took for college credit prior to graduation from high school.

I took two dual credit classes during high school and earned a B and a C. Now I am doing great in college. So would those grades affect my chances of getting into an ivy medical school? They should warn high school kids about dual credit, and how those grades follow you through college.

I took two dual credit classes during high school and earned a B and a C. Now I am doing great in college. So would those grades affect my chances of getting into an ivy medical school? They should warn high school kids about dual credit, and how those grades follow you through college.

You think a lot of high school kids will listen? Those who slack off in high school belong in two groups... those that run with their completely fresh slate, and those that continue to slack off until they get a very difficult wake-up call.

They probably won't, so long as you did well throughout college. Which it sounds like you are. So, other things are much more likely to keep you out :)

took a tough course 2nd half of senior year, a course i had no interest in, the teacher never taught anything like it (class ended up being taught by a genius 9th grader). lost interest since i had gotten in college, haunting me ever since.

What medical schools like to see is an upward trend. Most freshmen in UG have problems adjusting to college and their grades show it. But if the trend is positive and in the end, your GPA still falls in the competitive range, then those classes you took in HS won't really matter much.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to report a few college classes I took during high school for dual credit during senior year. I did terribly in high school, and the grades brought down my college GPA which has been nearly immaculate, but I think schools will take into account the time in which the courses were taken. AMCAS will specifically show that the courses were taken in HS. You will designate it when you fill out your coursework.

PS, I was kind of worried about this at first, but just do well in all of your college classes and it will hardly hurt at all. I don't think its ruined my chances at any great schools yet.

Thanks for the replies! So does AMCAS calculate dual credit grades from HS into your GPA during application process?

Good ol' dual enrollment classes. I was fortunate to have excellent DE teachers at my high school. One class in particular really prepared me for the college experience. At the time, I was flabbergasted to learn tests were weighted 80%, but as I entered college, I realized just how helpful the structure of the class had been in preparing me for college. :)

I wouldn't worry about the grades too much. You couldn't have taken that many DE classes during high school. ;)

How about AP classes? I know I'm being nit-picky, (I always hated pre-meds that acted like this, now look at me) but the college credit comes from the test, not the class, so....

Members don't see this ad :)
How about AP classes? I know I'm being nit-picky, (I always hated pre-meds that acted like this, now look at me) but the college credit comes from the test, not the class, so....

Most colleges don't give grades for AP classes. Some do, but most do not. You still list it as a HS class on your AMCAS.

Most colleges don't give grades for AP classes. Some do, but most do not. You still list it as a HS class on your AMCAS.

Yes, and very few medical schools accept prerequisite classes fulfilled through AP credit. Although, a good number do accept it if you take a few higher classes in the same subject.

Thanks for the replies! So does AMCAS calculate dual credit grades from HS into your GPA during application process?

Yes, but just the college transcript grade, not the high school one. Where I am, you can wind up with a lower grade on your high school transcript than your college one, because the letter grades correspond to different percentage grades.

no high school grades...who cares about high school?

Yes, and very few medical schools accept prerequisite classes fulfilled through AP credit. Although, a good number do accept it if you take a few higher classes in the same subject.

I didn't have any problems with the schools I applied to. I was only stopped from applying to Columbia. Of course, I'm a bio major, so I did take lots of upper division bio classes, but I only took one additional semester of English. Most schools are just picky about biology and chemistry. There are a few that are picky about Physics (Columbia), but not too many.

I got a B and a C in my dual credit classes during high school(prior to starting undergrad). Does AMCAS use these in calculating my overall GPA? Am I allowed to repeat these courses in undergrad for a better grade?

yes they use those grades and they cannot replaced by retaking the course again.

Any college courses that you have taken need to be reported to AMCAS. They will make up your "high school" courses which is really just college courses taken in high school. If you got less than stellar grades in them but excelled in college, I wouldn't sweat the details. They're not likely to make a huge impact on your GPA and a strong upward trend really looks good. Nobody expects a high schooler to know they want to go into medicine and many people make huge changes to themselves in college in terms of effort, studying habits, etc. that your most recent grades are what matter most.

I got a B and a C in my dual credit classes during high school(prior to starting undergrad). Does AMCAS use these in calculating my overall GPA? Am I allowed to repeat these courses in undergrad for a better grade?
If you did not transfer these to your undergraduate institution, they don't need to be reported.

If you did, then they are counted in your AMCAS GPA. You can repeat them but the scores will be averaged.