What is this...Post-Bach people speak of?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sure you guys remember my nine (thank you for counting, my fellow SDN members) threads on my horrible semester and getting a C- in Organic Chemistry. I'm thinking now I'll probably need to do a post-bach program for a year as I've seen people mention...but...what exactly does that mean?

Enrolling in a 2 year Master's Program and leaving after just a year?
Or are there..special one year post-bach programs that you complete? What do you get for those - a certificate? And...what kind of subjects should you do the post-bach program in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm sure you guys remember my nine (thank you for counting, my fellow SDN members) threads on my horrible semester and getting a C- in Organic Chemistry. I'm thinking now I'll probably need to do a post-bach program for a year as I've seen people mention...but...what exactly does that mean?

Or are there..special one year post-bach programs that you complete? What do you get for those - a certificate? And...what kind of subjects should you do the post-bach program in?

Thanks!

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that your screen name is "Medical Sonata" and you're inquiring about "post-BACH" programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks!

What is your MCAT, GPA

Post-Bach came...Haydn :D

just kidding.

For post-baccalaureate programs, I think there are basically two options.

1) standard post-bac where you take more undergrad science courses and pre-reqs to raise a low gpa after you officially graduate. This can be very very good if you have a low gpa, because only undergraduate classes can raise it, not masters classes.

2) Special Master's programs geared towards people seeking too improve their chances of being accepted to med schools, but who have taken and done well in many undergrad science courses. Can be one year or two (where you apply at then end of the first year and continue classes/research during the "float" year when you're waiting for decisions) This will not raise undergrad gpa and so is not quite as helpful, since schools primarily look at undergrad gpa. You should check out the post-bac forum here for some more specifics.

Just getting info early. No MCAT yet - just getting info early. I love the double standard here at Anal SDN: "You should have started working on that early!!! You can't do it in time NOW!" and then when I try to get early info on stuff it's always "Now!? You're thinking about that now!?"

Ha..yeah, the Bach thing is a bit ironic I suppose...hmm..I wrote "post-bacc" at first...but it looked so weird...I wanted to spruce it up...heh...-sweatdrop- ^__^ (Medical Sonata refers to Chopin btw). Thing is...it's not wrong. They can be called "Bachelor's Degree" - hence, "post-bach". -nod-

To the person with the annoying little..line of smilies and stuff...wtf's your problem? I can't ever make a freakin thread now because I was concerned about my Organic Chemistry grade? Seriously, grow up.

Last edited:
may i ask what is your gpa that you think you need a post bac?

3.6ish. But my first year was at a CC (made a 4.0). My sophomore year I transferred to a top 15 school, and for my first semester (this semester) I made a 2.65 (thanks to a C- in Organic Chemistry), bringing my overall to a 3.6. My BCPM would be a 3.65 now, but again, that's including CC credits.

3.6ish. But my first year was at a CC (made a 4.0). My sophomore year I transferred to a top 15 school, and for my first semester (this semester) I made a 2.65 (thanks to a C- in Organic Chemistry), bringing my overall to a 3.6. My BCPM would be a 3.65 now, but again, that's including CC credits.

What are you serious? Your grades are good enought to get interviews at many schools. What you need to do is learn your organic chem and ace the MCATS! that C- isn't going to hurt as much as you think.

Take it easy there CHAMP. I think you'll be okay with these stats assuming you take care of the other stuff (PS, interviews, etc.)

I cracked up so bad over this Medical Sonata asking about "post-Bach" irony... I know it's old now but I just saw it and had quite a riot, but then again this is coming from someone whose avatar is a "ferrous wheel"...

Take it easy there CHAMP. I think you'll be okay with these stats assuming you take care of the other stuff (PS, interviews, etc.)

But it's mostly thanks to my 4.0 at a COMMUNITY COLLEGE...then I drop to a 2.65 my first semester at a real college. I'm hoping they will realize this is my "adjusment" period...and I'm hoping I do much better next sem. now that I know how to study..

How hard is Anatomy and Physiology with lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that you'll probably have to retake orgo, as most med schools require a C or higher in all pre-reqs . I agree, however, that if your grades improves from here on out and you have a good MCAT score, research/clinical experience, recs, etc., you should be in the range for a MD/DO acceptance....

Just wondering..are you at Cornell?

Well, I have been offered a chance to transfer there this spring. I currently go to a large public university in the midwest...cruising through the academics. I'm thinking about whether or not I should take the offer...thought that if you went to Cornell, maybe you can give me some insight..

Well, I have been offered a chance to transfer there this spring. I currently go to a large public university in the midwest...cruising through the academics. I'm thinking about whether or not I should take the offer...thought that if you went to Cornell, maybe you can give me some insight..

PS OP: He totally haxed you dude~

Yeah dude. I'm applying with a 3.4ish. I had Cs in both organics, and a C+ in bio1. But I made As mostly after that 1st year. And I aced the MCAT. So you're not totally destroyed yet. But you really do need an amazing MCAT. I'm applying with a 38, and even that isn't covering my 3.4 =/, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yeah dude. I'm applying with a 3.4ish. I had Cs in both organics, and a C+ in bio1. But I made As mostly after that 1st year. And I aced the MCAT. So you're not totally destroyed yet. But you really do need an amazing MCAT. I'm applying with a 38, and even that isn't covering my 3.4 =/, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

WTF? When do you people apply? Like 2 weeks ago? I'm gunna be applying with a 3.6, 3.64 BCPM this summer (MCAT TBA) to my state schools. GEEZ. IF you all cant get in, how the hell am I

What the heck is "haxed"

Yes - I go to Cornell. Want insight? Okay...it's a great school. Everyone gets along, the classes are demanding but rewarding..you feel like you've actually learned something. Dorms are fairly nice, though the heat isn't as warm as I'd like. If you transfer you'll be housed in West Campus - all new dorms built in 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. Forgot which house was built when..but they are on a "house system" where you identify with your house and eat dinner together every Wed. at 6 pm, etc. We have interhouse competitions and stuff. Umm...sciences are fairly hard. I've seen people crying when they left Organic Chemistry or biology prelims. 8 colleges, you identify with one, they coexist in complete autonomy. CALS is really helpful in that they provide free, professional, one-on-one tutoring in science classes for students affiliated with their college.

Uh....the campus is freakin huge. If you take any animal science, microbiology, plant science, or food science classes...be prepared to walk. Those departments are all located in the veterinary area, which is about 1.5 miles from the "main campus" where your other classes will be. In the winter, it's horrible, though you can catch a bus if your lucky (and it's not full..)

Collegetown is practically attached to Cornell's campus - you cross a bridge owned by Cornell and you're there. It goes from academics to party as you cross the bridge. Not a big place, but has some fun restaraunts and stuff to do.

Hmm...not sure what else to say. You can PM with questions I suppose.

And as for my grades...ugh. Does anyone know for sure if I must retake a C-? I really don't wanna take Organic again. Not fair really, since not all schools HAVE plus and minus, and if Cornell didn't, this would be a regular C. So is anyone sure C- doesn't count?

And as for my grades...ugh. Does anyone know for sure if I must retake a C-? I really don't wanna take Organic again. Not fair really, since not all schools HAVE plus and minus, and if Cornell didn't, this would be a regular C. So is anyone sure C- doesn't count?

What happened to the person who was scared that his C- would not allow him to apply to med school and force him to go to a "post-bach" program? While allo schools will only average the class with your old grade, it will still boost your gpa. Not only that, but you will need to know your Org. for the MCAT.

Does anyone know for sure if I must retake a C-? I really don't wanna take Organic again. Not fair really, since not all schools HAVE plus and minus, and if Cornell didn't, this would be a regular C. So is anyone sure C- doesn't count?

For most schools, you will, but double check with the schools to which you plan or want to apply?