What is transitional medicine? And do I need to buy scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SalseraDoctora

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, please pardon my ignorance, but on match lists I always see a bunch of people in transitional medicine. What is that?

Also scrubs: when will we need them? Other than for pjs should I buy some before my first year? Where do people get them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, please pardon my ignorance, but on match lists I always see a bunch of people in transitional medicine. What is that?

Also scrubs: when will we need them? Other than for pjs should I buy some before my first year? Where do people get them?

Thanks!

transitional years are almost like a repeat of 4th year of med school with more responsibility. you do a transitional year before you start a residency in certain specialties like radiology, ophth, radonc, derm, etc.

Thanks!

A transitional year involves somebody going into say radiology doing a year of general medical internship. That person will spend some time in medicine, some time in OB, some time in surgery, etc. After that they disappear into the radiology catacombs, never to be seen or heard from again.

A lot of people buy a couple of pairs of scrubs to wear in gross lab. Keeps the smell off your regular clothes. You can probably borrow some from the hospital. There's like a million online sites for scrubs, there's typically a scrub store located near major teaching hospitals, or check out the campus bookstore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought my scrubs at walmart. I wore mine to anatomy and that's it.

Thanks! Good advice about the scrubs. So is transitional medicine for people who don't match in the specialties they really want? Or is it a deliberate extra year to do rotations for people who aren't sure yet what they want to specialize in?

Do you then have to re-apply for another residency?

Thanks! Good advice about the scrubs. So is transitional medicine for people who don't match in the specialties they really want? Or is it a deliberate extra year to do rotations for people who aren't sure yet what they want to specialize in?

For first year of residency, you can do a Prelim Medicine, Prelim Surgery, or a Transitional Year.

Most people do them prior to an advanced standing residency like Rads, Derm, Rad Onc where a prelim medicine or surgery year isn't required.

It's a "bridge" to residency in some specialties. The matches are separate, so it's possible to go unmatched in, say, ophthamology but to match into a transitional year. Typically the applicant would go on to the transitional year and apply again for ophthamology.

Most people who apply to a transitional year know what they want to do and are applying in that simultaneously.