What is U of Vermont like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled for an interview on 12/10/01. I will be leaving from California. Only thing I can anticipate is a lot of snow. I am kind of concerned about transportation (how to get from airport to hotel, etc) and weather, and of course the school interview.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to school at Middlebury, about 30 miles south of Burlington. There won't necessarily be a lot of snow; there could be a lot, and there could be none at all. It's kind of a crap shoot. It will most likely be pretty cold, but not that bad (~20's). I guess being from CA, anything under 70 is unbearably cold. :)

I remember walking one night in February when it was minus 20 degrees. I'd take a shower in the morning, walk to the dining hall, and by the time I got there, my hair would be frozen solid.

On the other hand, we seemed to have a warm spell (in the 60's) every January.

Burlington is a really nice city. I'm sure you could easily get a taxi from the airport.

I went for an interview this past Tuesday. The people were very very nice. I just left Burlignton before the snow was supposed to come, so I can't tell you what that's like, but being from Southern California, I can tell you it's cold. Once you leave the airport, get on the 2 - which becomes Williston, the street you're probably staying on. UVM is right down the street from there. It's a very tiny town and very hard to get lost. The interview is very laid back and just an orientation, lunch, a tour, and then the interview - which is relaxed and just some chatting. Good luck.

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
The Sheraton on Williston is the closest hotel to the school. You can literally see it from the hotel and can walk there in 10 minutes. Dress warmly. Plus, it has a free shuttle from the airport.

Hi Coalboy, Kutastha and Watto,

Thanks so much for your quick replies. This is my FIRST interview invite, so I am very excited! Glad to know that 2 other Californians visited the school :)

How much should I expect to pay for airline? Also, if you guys could give me a tip as to where I should look for a ticket (Watto, I just posted a question for you, but it was about where to find the ticket)

Thanks for your help!

(\o/)
-/_\-

By the way, you should go to Nectars while you're there. It's kind of a greasy spoon, but they have amazing gravy fries. I don't remember exactly where it it, but anyone there will be able to tell you. Phish's song "Picture of Nectar's" (I think that's the name) is about that place.

Hi Guys,
Sorry to bother you all again, but approximately what time is the interview day over? I am trying to find a ticket, but the good ticket deals are for the flight at 4 o'clock on the day of the interview. I didn't want to spend an extra day, due to my work. Also, my arrival time would be around midnight. It seems crazy, especially before the interview day. Is my only option staying an extra day before the interview and extra day after the interview?

You can make it for that flight if you phone up Vermont and specifically ask that, due to time constraints, you be scheduled for the 2PM INTERVIEW. Then you will be out by 3 and will make your flight (airport only like 10 min. away and small so no waits).

That's what I did and I had no problem. Just bring your bags to the interview--they will give you a closet to store them in.