What is UP with all the non-EM mod staff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our mod is online - posting elsewhere. However, what is up with all the non-EM mod staff coming around? Are these personal interpretations, or various anonymous reported posts leading to editing and closure?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It seems to be the popularity of the EM forum.

Other than the anesthesiology forum the other physician forums are pretty lame but even then they have political threads in the anesthesiology forum

NO ONE wants to post on the dead forums. The premed forum on sdn has a toxic reputation on the internet per all facebook and reddit groups but I guess they come here to make this forum lame like the others.

It's a little ridiculous this forum is active and people come here because generally having EM physicians who give their opinion about things gets people to visit.

The non EM mods don't contribute really anything of substance to the threads they just lock it. OMG I GOT a 2XX how many programs should I apply to!?! Seems to be what the non EM mods want this to be. If this continues I just wont post anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but where are pre-med mods doing things on this forum (unless you didn't mean mods who are pre-med, but rather mods who moderate the pre-med forum)? I went back 7 pages, and I found 3 threads that were locked by non-EM forum mods, but both of them were attending physicians. And these threads were reported and then acted upon based on the content of those reports.

I'm on this forum lurking a lot because I just started medical school and have an interest in the field, but I rarely post and never do any sort of moderating, so I'm just curious what you're talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
I think mcninja does a good job. I vote him EM forum president. Make EM forums great again!

Reactions: 9 users
They should make all of us old timers mods in here.

51KNUabaZRL.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
New forum software doesn't automatically ping me if someone reports an EM thread. I've been around, but generally EM (and anesthesia) are pretty laissez faire when it comes to how this part runs. However, if someone else sees something, they're welcome to act with asking permission for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure I'm confusing you with like, Arcan if that's the case. Hey; I can be wrong.
Well, I was working last night, and I was thinking about that. Maybe what I consider "mouthing off" is different from what you do, and, I'll admit, it's more likely you are correct, than I am!

Well, I was working last night, and I was thinking about that. Maybe what I consider "mouthing off" is different from what you do, and, I'll admit, it's more likely you are correct, than I am!

Don't underestimate my ability to screw up names. Yours both begin with "A".
I'm lucky if I can remember the RT staff's names sometimes.

Can all the “I got a 2xx score” threads be consolidated into one thread?

It’s like the same question repeated ...with the same answers....

Apollyon for moderator!

We have a WAMC thread. I can try and keep pushing those into it.

Reactions: 6 users
There is no reason why trained forum staff cannot moderate outside of their "assigned" forums. Reports and other complaints are reviewed by active staff and decisions are made as a group.

ONCE UPON A TIME it was frowned upon because of the fact that users didn't like "outsiders" (as is evidenced here), but SDN has grown too big to rely on just 1 or 2 busy attending physicians (who might want to have a life outside of work and SDN) moderating an active forum. This has been policy for many years. We ask new staff to tread lightly and to review proposed actions with more senior staff, but there is no reason why other "non-EM" staff cannot moderate here.

Our wonderful @Dr.McNinja has reviewed the activities of the other moderator and found them appropriate and even appreciated by him.

Reactions: 6 users
There is no reason why trained forum staff cannot moderate outside of their "assigned" forums. Reports and other complaints are reviewed by active staff and decisions are made as a group.

ONCE UPON A TIME it was frowned upon because of the fact that users didn't like "outsiders" (as is evidenced here), but SDN has grown too big to rely on just 1 or 2 busy attending physicians (who might want to have a life outside of work and SDN) moderating an active forum. This has been policy for many years. We ask new staff to tread lightly and to review proposed actions with more senior staff, but there is no reason why other "non-EM" staff cannot moderate here.

Our wonderful @Dr.McNinja has reviewed the activities of the other moderator and found them appropriate and even appreciated by him.
In general people prefer to be policed by peers... but I don’t know the rules that govern SDN

In general people prefer to be policed by peers... but I don’t know the rules that govern SDN

Moderating a forum is (generally) different from “policing” it.

SDN rules encourage any moderator to take moderating action if needed - closing a thread, moving a thread, banning a spammer, banning a troll, etc.

If there is any doubt or question, we generally defer to the forum's moderator if possible. Sometimes there isn't one or that one is out on vacation/maternity leave/etc.

Also, please be aware that if any non-EM moderator is taking action, it is almost certainly because someone reported it. None of us has enough time to read every single forum, every single day to find stuff to take action on.

Reactions: 2 users
As stated above... it's not realistic to expect an attending physician with a life outside of work and SDN to respond in a timely manner to every reported post. For this reason, it is totally allowed (and expected!) that moderators who are beyond their first couple of months should be able to handle reports outside of their assigned area--there's generally no rush except on clear spam/trolling/etc, but if a report has been hanging around for a bit we expect any available mod to step up and act.

Furthermore, I just want to push back against the idea that these actions are "personal interpretations" of rogue moderators. While the primary mod may not always be available, it's pretty uncommon that anyone would take action outside of their home forum without at least waiting for multiple mods to weigh in on a report, so if you see someone taking action chances are that it was based on a discussion with multiple staff members weighing in. We all get that physician forums can tolerate different conversations than the pre-med and med student forums, but just because the warning is given out by an "outsider" doesn't mean the action isn't justified, and there are certain kinds of posts that aren't acceptable anywhere.

Also, we're not so proud that we won't admit if we're wrong. If a primary forum mod were to give feedback that anyone was overstepping their bounds or being too aggressive in taking action, then you would see us reverse those decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
You police yourselves. We moderate. As far as the second part, you should. You agreed to them.
However, as all of the other moderators and administrators have said, this is simply trying to keep things on an even keel. The threads acted on were reported. They were reported because they were horrendously off topic, or were delving into inappropriate language.

Reactions: 1 users
You police yourselves. We moderate. As far as the second part, you should. You agreed to them.
However, as all of the other moderators and administrators have said, this is simply trying to keep things on an even keel. The threads acted on were reported. They were reported because they were horrendously off topic, or were delving into inappropriate language.

Edit: don’t know why I even replied

Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.