what is up with columbia's admissions dept???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well...i sent off my complete aadsas application back in august and have already been accepted to nyu. unfortunately, i'm still waiting to even receive my status letter from columbia. not only that, they mailed it to the wrong address. they haven't made it easy for me to contact them about this matter or all other questions i've had in the past: i can rarely reach them by phone, no response to emails, etc. What's the deal? (i hope this is no indication on how their dental program is run!)

it's already february! (am i being impatient here?) i mean, does the fact that i'm even getting a "status letter" in the mail mean that i'm actually in the running for an interview? quite frankly, i'm not sure if columbia is one of those schools that bothers sending out rejection letters...because if in fact i'm bending over backwards to track down my rejection letter in the mail, then i'll be damned!

Members don't see this ad.

well...i sent off my complete aadsas application back in august and have already been accepted to nyu. unfortunately, i'm still waiting to even receive my status letter from columbia. not only that, they mailed it to the wrong address. they haven't made it easy for me to contact them about this matter or all other questions i've had in the past: i can rarely reach them by phone, no response to emails, etc. What's the deal? (i hope this is no indication on how their dental program is run!)

it's already february! (am i being impatient here?) i mean, does the fact that i'm even getting a "status letter" in the mail mean that i'm actually in the running for an interview? quite frankly, i'm not sure if columbia is one of those schools that bothers sending out rejection letters...because if in fact i'm bending over backwards to track down my rejection letter in the mail, then i'll be damned!

They mailed it to the wrong address? you mean your parents' address?

Jeez... "quite frankly" nobody likes a whiner... So, Mr/s. first post CU flamer... You didn't do yourself any favors sending your app out late. I did the same thing and ended up either getting rejected at schools I definitely could have gotten into. (not saying this b/c I am full of myself... they actually said in the letter/interview/over the phone that the class was full but I should reapply the next session and pretty much said without putting in words that I'd get in) Some schools NEVER sent me ANYTHING... I'm lucky I got in here and thats mostly b/c Columbia's adcom makes sure to allot up to the very end, which is more than can be said for other schools. Had they been some other unsaid schools you'd have been promptly sent a rejection letter (as was I) and wouldn't be waiting right now...Thats nothing to whine about. No news is good news. There's no shortage of qualified applicants, and I bet there are people that sent in stuff in July just getting interviews now. You just honestly gotta take some responsibility and wait your turn and not place blame on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel your frustration! i think they are just understaffed. it seems like its just diana lugo and dr. mcmanus responding to everyone and they never pick up the phone- u have to email. the great thing is that dr. mcmanus actually does answer emails within a few days so you can write to him directly and ask status questions. i personally am frustrated because i interviewed on dec. 7th and still haven't heard anything back.. i feel like i must be on the waiting list but wish they would just tell me! i heard positive feedback from both my interviewer and mcmanus but i think my DAT score just isnt high enough. any suggestions/thoughts on my situations??? would really appreciate it!!

i emailed diane lugo back in december and she said my app has not been reviewed. i just emailed her again in feb and she never wrote me back and its been two weeks. I got into other schools but i would really like to know whether i should still consider columbia or not. does anyone know whether they are basically done with the admissions cycle? or are there stlil spots for the interview?!! its frustratinggg

i emailed diane lugo back in december and she said my app has not been reviewed. i just emailed her again in feb and she never wrote me back and its been two weeks. I got into other schools but i would really like to know whether i should still consider columbia or not. does anyone know whether they are basically done with the admissions cycle? or are there stlil spots for the interview?!! its frustratinggg

Yeah, their admissions dept is really messed up. Not sure why a school with this caliber would run such a poor admissions dept. I am also waiting for Diana Lugo's email response since about a month ago. Nothing.

I am not sure why she is so busy all the time. Her email responses in the past have been extremely short and simple, as if I did something wrong to her.

you are completely justified. There administration sucks. They wouldn't return my messages on their answering machine or emails for over a month. Unprofessional if you ask me!

It is very frustrating, but I have to say that I would be annoyed if I had to field phone calls all day when I had a job to do if I was in their shoes. I too would like to know something from schools, but I have only called/emailed if I had a really important question, and that has been only when there was an issue with my app. They probably think I'm not interested, but I don't want to annoy them.

I'm in the same boat as you... I've been waiting forever and all I get from them is that my application is still under review for this Sept. I just wish they would start rejecting people if they weren't interested... that way at least I'd know where I stand :S

It's not just Columbia...Temple and Maryland still haven't given me a response yet and I applied in May!!!! :confused:

I'm in the same boat as you... I've been waiting forever and all I get from them is that my application is still under review for this Sept. I just wish they would start rejecting people if they weren't interested... that way at least I'd know where I stand :S

I just logged into my ADDSAS application and Maryland still has me "under review"....:rolleyes:

I've gotten so many rejections that at this point I am numbed by them. Fortunately I got into one school.:D

I wish that for all of the schools that I applied that aren't saying anything. I realize it takes awhile to get through the massive amounts of applications that each school receives but I have heard nothing from Columbia and I sent them an email in late December! But it is a deal I have seen with a couple of schools. I just wish (quite the fantasy) that AADSAS would force each of the schools to update your account by a certain date. Some of the schools I have applied have nothing for me.

I wish that for all of the schools that I applied that aren't saying anything. I realize it takes awhile to get through the massive amounts of applications that each school receives but I have heard nothing from Columbia and I sent them an email in late December! But it is a deal I have seen with a couple of schools. I just wish (quite the fantasy) that AADSAS would force each of the schools to update your account by a certain date. Some of the schools I have applied have nothing for me.

yeah, if the schools go through aadsas, then they should update aadsas. whats the point of having a status page if only a few schools update them?

I just logged into my ADDSAS application and Maryland still has me "under review"....:rolleyes:

They're not looking for simply numbers, so they say. I guess that means whatever extra traits they're looking for has to be somewhat suggested in your app.

There's still another school I'd like to hear back from so I can visit them. But at this point, I've acknowledged that it's too late and should expect a rejection letter soon.

Other then BU, my AADSAS status update page is blank... none of the schools have updated my status since september :confused:, and some places I've been accepted, others I have withdrawn my application from. As far as Columbia is concerned, I've had trouble reaching them over the phone, but they usually answer my e-mails quite promptly. My advice is not to put the word "status" in your e-mail subject line... I usually leave the subject blank, and I guess some sort of curiosity gets them to open it before others... :p

If you call them on a Wednesday, they respond promptly. But, yeah, CU is one of the 'less efficient' schools when it comes to administrative tasks.

Other then BU, my AADSAS status update page is blank... none of the schools have updated my status since september :confused:, and some places I've been accepted, others I have withdrawn my application from. As far as Columbia is concerned, I've had trouble reaching them over the phone, but they usually answer my e-mails quite promptly. My advice is not to put the word "status" in your e-mail subject line... I usually leave the subject blank, and I guess some sort of curiosity gets them to open it before others... :p
That's assuming that the blank subject line doesn't activate a spam filter :D
But yeah, I never heard a single thing from them either