What is up with these honor society invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any real reason to join these? I have now gotten 2 "invites" from Phi Kappa Phi and National Scholars Honor Society. I see no real reason to join them unless they help with residency applications. So do they? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

unlvdmd said:
Is there any real reason to join these? I have now gotten 2 "invites" from Phi Kappa Phi and National Scholars Honor Society. I see no real reason to join them unless they help with residency applications. So do they? Thanks in advance.

i think Phi Kappa Phi is pretty well respected and might help a little..

I don't see them helping with residency applications much at all. Board scores, class rank/GPA, experience, extracurriculars, LORs, etc., are going to count a lot more than those honor societies.

Further, being in an honor society isn't going to help if your class rank is mediocre. And what about all those at the top of the class or with stellar part I scores that aren't in such societies? Are they lesser applicants? Of course not.

My vote goes for saving your money.

Cool. Thanks guys.