What is up with this guy's MD/DO degree(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does he have an MD after his name? I can understand the honorary MD degree but he lists an MD degree first?

I was flipping through the channels this morning and saw this nutcase doing an infomercial for omega 3/all-fish diets and thought I'd google his name to see how in the world he had obtained an official (non-honorary) MD and DO degree.

hmmmm

Members don't see this ad.

H0mersimps0n said:
How does he have an MD after his name? I can understand the honorary MD degree but he lists an MD degree first?

I was flipping through the channels this morning and saw this nutcase doing an infomercial for omega 3/all-fish diets and thought I'd google his name to see how in the world he had obtained an official (non-honorary) MD and DO degree.

hmmmm

He paid $65 for it.

Here's the story: http://history.aoa-net.org/Recognition/reccalif.htm

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was one of THOSE....

nevermind, I got it. I knew about that happening I just never thought I'd see one...

Members don't see this ad :)
He may have taken an internet course at a caribbean school during his 4th year of DO school from UHSH in the caribbean. You get an MD and are a DO, MD.

could also be a diploma of osteopathy.... remember in most countries it is still diploma and not doctorat. In Canada health care professionals can take a diploma in Osteopathy.. meaning learn OMT and get that diploma... but it is more likely that he is a california DO convert to MD...

Was he old? 50's or 60's?
Was he foreign?

Sharky said:
He may have taken an internet course at a caribbean school during his 4th year of DO school from UHSH in the caribbean. You get an MD and are a DO, MD.

How much money do they extort from those suckers?

VentdependenT said:
How much money do they extort from those suckers?
http://www.uhsa.ag/pstudent/four/resdt/overview.htm
It costs about $20,000 for the year. The sad thing is the MD degree alone would not let them practice in the states because the caribbean school is not recognized in many states. It would be the DO that lets them practice.

Supposedly, people do it so they can practice internationally but many of the graduates end up practicing in the US anyway.

I think paying $65 is a better deal than $20,000 and extra work. :thumbdown: