What is wrong? Should I lose hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMGIMG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 2009 YOG, no research, 3 months of US clin. experience, 99,99,99 ECFMG certified. IMG. Applied Sep. 1st.

I only apply in NY for family reasons. So far I have only got 2 invites, Bronx Lebanon and St. Barnabas.

When is it too late? I didnt expect invitations from Cornell och Columbia but definately thougth I would get more invitations for low and mid tier programs.

Anyone knows what could be wrong? Seems like most hospitals have sent out their invitations now.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I can think of that is "wrong" in my application is that my CV says that I attend medical school to July 2009 but my degree was issued in Sep. 2009 (that date on my diploma). Maybe it looks like I had to retake classes?

The reason is that they send out the diplomas a few months after graduation to everyone. (Just like you get the ECFMG certification some weeks after you have fulfilled the requirements)

Should I email the programs and tell them about that? It says in my Dean´s letter that I graduated on time, but they can´t see that until Nov. 1st.

The reason is that they send out the diplomas a few months after graduation to everyone. (Just like you get the ECFMG certification some weeks after you have fulfilled the requirements)

Should I email the programs and tell them about that? It says in my Dean´s letter that I graduated on time, but they can´t see that until Nov. 1st.

What country are you from? What country did you go to med school in? Wherever it was, it's good they know about Dean's letter/MSPE.

I wouldn't email programs, unless they ask. I doubt they notice it, or care? If you do it wrong, it only brings their attention, and to scrutinize your date problems, maybe even looking for other problems/red flag.

Last edited:
Do you need a VISA? You graduated in 2009 - what have you been doing with your time since then? Is this your first time in the match? Lots of possible red flags here - whatever your family ties are to NY, you may need to rethink your strategy.

I have been working in my homeland (Germany), doing an internship. (have a 3 month gap in my CV where I studied for the USMLE)

I need a visa. First time I apply for residency.

What red flags do you think my application might have?

Only 2 Ivs is no good, right?

You have great board scores and you're ECFMG certified which is good. But, you need a VISA. And you graduated in 2009. These are unfortunately two major detractors. The 2 IVs you currently have, I think, have a tendency to prematch which may work out for you. But it's not something you can count on. Why are you only applying in NY?

I am 2009 YOG, no research, 3 months of US clin. experience, 99,99,99 ECFMG certified. IMG. Applied Sep. 1st.

I only apply in NY for family reasons. So far I have only got 2 invites, Bronx Lebanon and St. Barnabas.

When is it too late? I didnt expect invitations from Cornell och Columbia but definately thougth I would get more invitations for low and mid tier programs.

Anyone knows what could be wrong? Seems like most hospitals have sent out their invitations now.

There are lot of potential issues with your app...you're 2 years out from graduation, you have relatively minimal USCE (many IMGs have 6-24 months) and you need a visa. I assuem you explained what you've been doing since then in your PS. Also, it's hard to tell how good your scores really are when you list the silly 2-digit score. IIRC, a 235 and a 270 will both be a "99" so your "99s" while good may not really be all that great.

Finally, how broadly did you apply? 50-100 programs is probably a good start. Did you apply to all the other community programs in NYC? If not, do it now.

Good points. Maybe my application is not as solid as I thought. Ppl have told me I would surely match at a community program in NYC so started to believe it.

My boyfriend lives in NYC, that is why I only applied there. He can´t move because of his job.

Good points. Maybe my application is not as solid as I thought. Ppl have told me I would surely match at a community program in NYC so started to believe it.

My boyfriend lives in NYC, that is why I only applied there. He can´t move because of his job.

Also, you didn't state what specialty you're looking at. I just assumed IM but if you're looking at anything more competitive than that (FM, Psych, Peds are similarly or less competitive), that's part of your problem as well. I'm going to continue to assume IM and point out that there are ~55 IM programs in the NY metro area (including LI, the northern suburbs and close-in NJ)...if you haven't already, you should apply to the rest of them right now.

I think u shd have applied to NJ too. If you dont mind community programs...I think some programs are just a stone throw away from NYC...like Englewood and St Joseph patterson. These shd take u 30 minutes by car. These readily come into mind...but most NJ programs have easy access to NYC if u have a car.
I would throw in some CT and MA programs too.
I think u will do fine. But the thing is that there are so many IMGs out there with 99s(if the forums are to be believed) and I am pretty sure we(IMGS) all apply to New York(BECOS it is IMG friendly) so no guarantee.

You're in Germany now, so clearly you can do long distance. Think of throwing in mid-low tier programs in New Jersey, and Philadelphia/Pennsylvania area.

Only 2 Ivs is no good, right?

No, not good. According to NRMP statistics for the last match, the average number of programs where most US seniors who matched interviewed and ranked is in the double digits.

No, not good. According to NRMP statistics for the last match, the average number of programs where most US seniors who matched interviewed and ranked is in the double digits.

How many interviews have you other guys got so far?

I thought there would be lots of interviews coming last week and this week...

I know some hospitals (like St. Luke) start sending out invitations mid-October (according to their homepage) so I thought there was still a chance for more interviews.

Please don't get me wrong, 2 interviews are certainly better than nothing. But in this process, the more the better ones chances of matching.

How many interviews have you other guys got so far?

I thought there would be lots of interviews coming last week and this week...

I know some hospitals (like St. Luke) start sending out invitations mid-October (according to their homepage) so I thought there was still a chance for more interviews.