What is your criteria for schools you are applying too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amra

A Quiet Voice of Reason
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious as to what criteria everyone is looking at in selecting the medical schools that they are applying too?

I'm sitting here with 44%(I'm anal sometimes) my secondaries (DMU-OMC, PCOM, UHS-COM, and KCOM) and I'm flopping back and forth between rough drafts and reseaching schools.

I'm very impressed right now (of the ones I have) with PCOM and UHS-COM.

What are you peeps looking at?

Kinda curious and forum has been sloooow... and I'm trying to catch Popoy in total number of posts (which seems to be a mathematical unprobability ) :(

-A

Members don't see this ad.

For me, location was the biggest factor. I wanted to be near my family and not have to worry about the weather (CA has pretty steady weather). Match list, board exam performance, etc., each played a secondary role in my decision. I came to the conclusion that as long as you work hard and play your cards right, you can match into nearly any residency program you desire.

I applied to as many DO schools as I could.... you don't really get to know the school until you go and visit them for interview.... that's when I knew that DMU was for me....

Some of the criterias that people use are:
- city size/population size
- diversity
- tuition and fees, living expenses
- Strength in OMM curriculum
- Board examination performance
- Research
- Class size, faculty/student ratio
If I remember more, I'll post up....

BTW, it's not mathematically improbable ;) you'll see.... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I look at a variety of criteria, location is my biggest consideration. I live in a particular area where, for me, location is key. In my opinion, any medical school will do the trick. You need to visit schools (if possible) to see if you fit into their 'mold'. I'm born and raised in Southern Illinois, so Illinois schools are where I'm looking. I'm also looking at Missouri and Iowa (DO). I want to stay in the midwest for med school and practice in Illinois or Missouri. Right now, cost is the least of my worries. I can say that because I'm poor and I'll just borrow what I need. My advice to you is to find a place that fits your personality traits. If you're totally out of place in that respect, you can bet you won't get along well with your peers and school will be rough for you. Find a place where the students are similar to you. Once you do that, you'll feel comfortable going to school and make a smooth transition into medical school.

Best of luck!

Amra,

A friend of mine who is now a MSII at AZCOM gave me some good advice to your very question. Look at such things as class size, student-faculty ratio, USMLE pass rates, tuition, living expenses and all the data that seems important to you. Note: Given your admission of being kinda anal, these should appeal to your meticulous nature :eek: Ultimately, you will need to ask one question: is this school in a setting in which I will be comfortable for four years? If its not, it MAY affect your sense of well-being and your studies.

Best of luck.... (particularly on catching up to Popoy)

Hey Popoy,

Just curious, what other DO schools were you strongly considering before you chose DMU?

Thanks,
wyldstyle2000

How do you find out what the pass rates are for USMLE and COMLEX at various schools?

Originally posted by wyldstyle2000:
•Hey Popoy,

Just curious, what other DO schools were you strongly considering before you chose DMU?

Thanks,
wyldstyle2000•

I was strongly considering going to KCOM, DMU, COMP and AZCOM

KCOM, invited me too late - which was weird in the first place because I sent them a letter prior to the invitation that I didn't want to go there anymore because I was accepted to DMU.

DMU - I chose because it had a strong OMM curriculum and fellowship, friendly atmosphere and I felt I belonged here.... sounds strange but when I interviewed here I knew this was the place for me.... After I got accepted, I decided to turn down all other invites, etc.

COMP - I found out a lot of bad and good things about from students I know.... I didn't think that atmosphere fit me.

AZCOM - never had the chance to visit as I got ejected ;)

The only real reason for AZCOM and COMP was the location.... close to the west coast/family.... But I was really waiting for DMU or KCOM.... Honestly, I would have settled for any of the osteopathic medical school. As long as I was going to be a doc it ultimately doesn't matter.... I knew, no matter where I went, I would make the best of it....

Originally posted by algae:
•How do you find out what the pass rates are for USMLE and COMLEX at various schools?•

There are threads around the forums that second and third years are posting their school's pass rates.... You can also ask the school for this information.

DMU-COMS COMLEX Step I pass rate is 95%

Hey Popoy,

What do you think Des Moines the city? Is it too small or just right for you? I'm from LA but moved to the midwest for med to a smaller city thinking change and simplicity would be nice for studying.

Thanks,
wyldstyle2000

p.s. I can't find any pinoy food around here!

Pinoy food is definitely none existant here in Des Moines among other things such as dim sum, mediterranean food, etc.

But I absolutely like Des Moines.... Coming from the Bay Area with the hustle and bustles of life, this smaller city is an atmosphere where I know I can do well.... Simplicity is definitely NICE!!! I hope it will work there for you as well....

Although I miss the cultural mix that we had in Cali....