What is your day like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple other forums have started "what is your day like?" threads, and I thought it would be kind of interesting to start one for optometry.
-------------------------------------------

Location (what school?)

What year?

When are your classes? (ex 9-5)

Where do you live? (apt/on campus?)

Do you socialize? (how long?)

Do you exercise? (how long?)

How long do you study?

What are your weekends like?

Members don't see this ad.

Location (what school?)
-- SUNY Optometry, NYC

What year?
-- 1st year

When are you classes? (ex 9-5)
-- All the time! (At least it feels that way...). 8 or 9am until 5 or 6pm. It varies -- some labs meet every other week and we're done by 3 on Fridays.

-- Apartment with my husband, about 2 miles away.

-- I get out to dinner or for drinks once or twice a week, unless it's exam time.

-- I do a lot of walking (to/from school), and try to get to the gym twice a week.

How long do you study?
-- An hour or two a day, more around exams, more on weekends.

-- I have a life outside of school most of the time, ...except around exams (is there a theme here? ;) )

Location (what school?)
University of Houston College of Optometry , Houston, Texas

What year? Third

8 - 5pm every day but Wednesday when I have elective. Then, I go 8am to 730pm

At home with mom and dad , hey, the rent is free

I try to get out at least once a week. Movies, dinner, etc. Usually dinner and a drink.

At least three times a week for an hour

How long do you study?
I try to organize notes at least an hour a night. More close to test time. I'm generally a crammer.. I know it's bad.. but I have NO time otherwise.

Try to go out once a week... get outside. If there are tests or a test week coming up.. I have no weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i like this thread. i aint in optometry school yet but here goes.

Location (what school?)
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

What year? Fourth Yr. undergrad

Tuesday, Thursday from 11:00 - 5:00

At home

As often as possible, 2-3 hours a day.

Either 3 or 4 days a week (every other day) for an hour.

How long do you study?
I review daily for an hour or two, but study hard before exams.

Hangin out with friends, movies, eatin out, some studying, gym, reading, etc.

Like Highly Fanatic, I'm still an undergraduate. Looking forward to optometry very much. I really like r_salis' idea here. I hope all OD students will post because it would interesting to know what life is like in optometry school. :cool:

Location (what school?)
Christian Brothers University, Memphis, TN, USA

What year? fourth year (last count: my last semester, 4 months 'til graduation, wooohhhooo!!!!)

this semester: Tuesday, Thursday from 9:30- 3:00
that's right, no school MWF!!!!!

at home. Free rent, good food, no complaint.

Not a big thing on weekdays, some on weekends.

Used to run a lot. Been slacking off since school started, but planning to get back this semester since i have a light schedule.

How long do you study?
Used to be really bad at keeping up with materials everyday as a freshman. But junior year and senior year, got in habit of studying every night for a least 2 hrs.

Hanging out with friends, goin to movies, shopping, church, and hit the books Sunday nights.

:cool:

Location (what school?)
- UCB, School of Optometry

What year?
- First year

- Start at 8 a.m. everyday from M-F. End at different times each day. End at 1 p.m. on M and W, 12 p.m. on F, and 3:30 p.m. on Tu and Th partially due because of a huge lunch break of 2.5 hours. Some labs are not scheduled every week so some M and W I could be out by 11 a.m. and some F I'm only in school for one lab from 8-9 a.m. Trust me, I got the lucky schedule this semester - not everyone has this.

- Apartment about 5 miles away from campus.

- Everyday is a social event! I go out to lunch with friends every day, which is costly, but it's great to get off campus. There are also social events planned through the social committee throughout the semester (Napa Wine tour, karaoke, bowling, etc.) and some things that a few of my friends plan for us (Secret Santa party, hot pot party, shopping, etc.). This does not happen every week, but I would say at least once a month we plan a "little adventure" to look forward to.

- I try to do yoga at least everyday, but I usually only have time for a few poses. I would say that I probably complete about 2 hours of exercise each week. That's going to change though - I gained so much weight from the holidays that I'm going to join a yoga studio again. A lot of my classmates work out everyday at one of the gyms around the university.

How long do you study?
- I would say around a few hours at home each day and NEVER on Friday nights (habit I picked up in undergrad). First semester I had a lot of breaks, so I would be studying for a few hours at school also. When exams are around, that's when the crazy studying of 6+ hours a day occurs.

- Cleaning up the apartment. It took me the entire semester to finally settle into my apartment. Cleaning up takes some time because I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment and I have 2 cats. I also bring my laundry to my parent's home to wash (they live about 45 minutes away). I go grocery shopping and to Target (I always find something there to buy). I catch up with all my shows on TIVO and that does take a while. When I can, I squeeze in some hours of studying as well =).

Best wishes,

Rosanna

Location (what school?) Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT

What year? senior!

When are your classes? (ex 9-5) Spring semester: M 8-11, 3-6; T 12:30-3; W 8-11, 12-4; Th 9-3; F 10-11

Where do you live? (apt/on campus?) Apt about 10 minutes from school

Do you socialize? (how long?) lunch with friends during the week, Fri and Sat nights

Do you exercise? (how long?) 4 times a week for an hour

How long do you study? read and review notes during the week, study on weekends and more once the semester picks up

What are your weekends like? usually try to get any "busy" work done first, with friends at night, errands and school work sat. day, sunday studying and cleaning the apt.

:)

What year? senior (undergrad)
When are your classes? my classes are all over the place they usually start around midmorning and ends at about 8-9pm, this is because of my minor classes (which is studio arts with a conc. on photography) are like labs, 3hrs long, but I also have lots of breaks in between my classes

Where do you live? (apt/on campus?) At home

Do you socialize? several times during the day because I always run into people I know during breaks

Do you exercise? try to do it whenever i can, for about an hour

How long do you study? Study during my breaks in school, and on weekends. Towards the end of last semester my P.O.P.S. friends and I kind developed this habit of getting together at the P.O.P.S. office on sunday nights and studying.

What are your weekends like? working, screenings with Prevent Blindness, hanging out with friends, and studying:D