What Is Your Favorite Federal Holiday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Is Your Favorite Federal Holiday? (U.S.)

• New Years

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • MLK Day

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Presidents Day (Washington's Birthday)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Memorial Day

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • July 4th (Independence Day)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Labor Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Columbus Day

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Veterans Day

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Thanksgiving

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Christmas

Votes: 31 47.7%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we're in the holiday season, December's poll is about favorite holidays. We're going to go with U.S. federal holidays here, because I don't have the time or patience to type in every major holiday of every country and religion. :p

For me, definitely July 4th. I live in GA for several years as a kid, and I remember going out to Stone Mountain. We'd get fried chicken and all kinds of other things that kids shouldn't eat, camp out on the grass there, and wait hours for the fireworks and laser show. Good times!

Members don't see this ad.

This is the most inane poll ever! Like you really are going to have anytime to enjoy any of these during the course of your career in medicine.

This is the most inane poll ever! Like you really are going to have anytime to enjoy any of these during the course of your career in medicine.
You're so cute when you're all angry and bitter. :p

But I see based on your signature that a congratulations is in order, so congrats on making good your escape. :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
President's Day. For reals. :)

If you have to ask why, you're obviously not a skier. :p

New Years. It's a chance to start fresh. It's a time of reflection and to look forward to the plans of the new year.

Plus the drinking and partying.

New Years. It's a chance to start fresh. It's a time of reflection and to look forward to the plans of the new year.

Plus the drinking and partying.
These are exactly all the reasons why New Years is my *least* favorite holiday. Too much drunk introspection, drunk driving, and drunk people trying too hard to have a good time. I will gladly volunteer to work on New Years every year for the rest of my career if I can have Thanksgiving off instead. :D

MCATguy, I loved the rants, but thank you for not hijacking my thread. ;)

MCATguy, I loved the rants, but thank you for not hijacking my thread. ;)

Sometimes I get overly excited in my fight against bad attitudes and forget that it was completely off subject! :)

Thanksgiving!

Reasoning:

Sleep in
Food
Football
More food
More football
Beer
More food
Nap
Even more food
More Beer
Coma

Those are the days. Too bad we have to wait a year for another one...

Thanksgiving!

Reasoning:

Sleep in
Food
Football
More food
More football
Beer
More food
Nap
Even more food
More Beer
Coma

Those are the days. Too bad we have to wait a year for another one...

But there are other holidays that have this + presents! :p

My husband is Jewish and I'm agnostic, so we really only celebrate the Jewish holidays, but he still insists on getting me an xmas present too since I was raised Catholic. Hey, far be it for me to fight against extra presents...

This xmas I get all of the above plus present minus football, but then I'm going to an NFL game the 26th. Christmas is awesome :thumbup:

This year it's Christmas because I get four days off around the holiday.

I spent Thanksgiving, three days before and two days after in the ICU for 12-15 hours a day while everyone asked "so are you spending time with your family this Thanksgiving??" My family didn't even celebrate the holiday this year - no one to cook and I was frankly too tired to do anything other than go home, stuff a sandwich in my mouth and sleep. Thank goodness my husband took care of the kids during their vacation.

Every year my favorite will likely change depending on whether I get to spend time with family or not. Any holiday I spend quality time with family being a family is a good holiday. It's just not ever the same holiday every year. :D

These are exactly all the reasons why New Years is my *least* favorite holiday. Too much drunk introspection, drunk driving, and drunk people trying too hard to have a good time. I will gladly volunteer to work on New Years every year for the rest of my career if I can have Thanksgiving off instead. :D

I see you're a "glass half full" type of person. :D

Uh I'm a PhD student, we don't get holidays. There are people on christmas day cranking out reactions in that lab, its really quite sad.

I'm going to say July 4 if only because I know it is exactly 2 weeks until my birthday. My mother had been hoping I would be born on that day, but I was stubborn.

Funny, I live about 45 min from Stone Mountain and I've never even been there, much less on July 4th. We go to the Mall of Georgia for the seizure inducing (literally) fireworks.

I'm a federal employee, so I'm going to vote Columbus day. It is one of those days that hardly anyone else has off so it makes me feel special :hungover: