What is your honest opinion of NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iDreamofDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Im just looking for people to share their honest opinions of NYU? How is it perceived in the dental community?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly get the feeling that it is most people's back up school. I've heard this in multiple conversations and also from what I have read on here. It's a shame since the facilities & program is spectacular. It has everything you can offer, but the price tag keeps most of the top flight applicants away.

As far as the dental community is concerned, it's considered as one of the upper tier research schools in the country. By being the biggest school, it also leaves a huge footprint on the field of dentistry.

Last edited:
well what matters is that it fits for you, because im considering it heavily

the major gripes are cost and class size, but as a canadian most of the schools i applied to were going to be expensive and although im not a fan of the class size, you can always find ways to stand out or remain anonymous, kind of like you can in undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interview there. Honestly it did not leave a good impression on me.

The best thing about it were the facilities. They were the nicest and newest looking ones I've seen. And the location is better than Columbia's.

But the price tag and class sizes are just too big of negatives for me. I went to an undergrad with 30,000 students and I wasn't looking for the same experience. I'm self-driven but dental school is much more difficult than undergrad and I would like the option of extra help if I needed it. This doesn't seem that possible there. The office ladies admitted they had no idea who some of the students were, and this was the only school I interviewed at where this was the case. The labs and clinics were so large and crowded, they honestly looked like factories to me.

Given that dental schools are not ranked and you're going to be a dentist regardless of where you go, you would be kinda financially ignorant to pick one of the most expensive schools to go to, if you had a choice otherwise. It doesn't even have the 1 year income advantage that UoP has.

expensive. Tuition is very high and living expense as well.

i went to a school that had ~110 students per year. you develop friendships and relationships with each one of them during those four years and you become like one big family. i cant imagine have 4 times that many people in my class..

no doubt about it, NYU, USC and the likes need to be at the bottom of your choices just because of the cost (unless your rich and have somebody paying your tuition or going via the military route). to graduate with nearly $500K in loans will be a burden on you for many, many, many years. go to the cheapest school that accepts you. everything else is secondary

simple: A school that I cannot afford

i ve worked with 5 dentists that went to nyu.... they all said the experience, the education and new york city was great but they all had the same complaint: THEIR STUDENT LOANS

I just had my interview for NYU on Nov. 29th. I loved the city and that whole lifestyle but the school itself i wasnt very impressed. the class size is ridiculously large. So if your trying to specialized its going to be extremely difficult to get a spot in those programs. Everyone is super competitive and i dint really like that. In addition, the school is super expensive and living costs are skyrocking!! In my opinion, if i had to choose between two schools, i personally wouldnt go to NYU. But if i had no other options.. Obviously i wouldnt turn it down.

It really seemed to have the nicest facilities, plenty of opportunity for community service, one of the biggest clinical research labs, and their board pass rate was 100%. As far as being seen as an individual, when I went around the clinics there was a pretty good student faculty ratio, and it didnt seem like anyone was just off on their own. plus I know next year they're bringing in virtual reality dentistry to train you in pre-clinic, which has been developed by some company in switzerland. As far as the price tag goes, its not that much different from other private schools, its just that the living expenses in NYC are higher than elsewhere. On the flipside, I can't imagine finding a better patient base anywhere else.

Does anyone know about the clinical ability of their graduates? How does it compare to other NY schools?

I personally loved NYU. Their facilities are beautiful and you are for sure not going to get a more diverse patient pool. The students there all seemed extremely happy and I did not get that overly competitive vibe at all..they all talked about all the fun stuff they do even with that large of a class. They get broken into 14 different groups with a faculty head for each to try to help the big class size problem. Like idreamofdent said, its not the tuition, it's the price of living that's outrageous. And whoever said you can't get extra help, that's not true. The students told me about how they have special times on the weekends where you can come in and practice certain procedures if you're struggling.

Also big plus: all lectures recorded and available on itunes !!

I understand a lot of peoples hesitance due to price..but if i get in, I'm definitely going.

It really seemed to have the nicest facilities, plenty of opportunity for community service, one of the biggest clinical research labs, and their board pass rate was 100%. As far as being seen as an individual, when I went around the clinics there was a pretty good student faculty ratio, and it didnt seem like anyone was just off on their own. plus I know next year they're bringing in virtual reality dentistry to train you in pre-clinic, which has been developed by some company in switzerland. As far as the price tag goes, its not that much different from other private schools, its just that the living expenses in NYC are higher than elsewhere. On the flipside, I can't imagine finding a better patient base anywhere else.

Does anyone know about the clinical ability of their graduates? How does it compare to other NY schools?

Like you said, NYU is a great school and my friends who go there love the school and the city.

However, the tuition would be still little more expensive than majority of other private school and considering living cost, you will spend like 50-100k more than other private schools locate in cheap cities like Case western, Nova, UDM...etc.

I really hope they grant me an interview... still no news since August sigh...:(

And whoever said you can't get extra help, that's not true. The students told me about how they have special times on the weekends where you can come in and practice certain procedures if you're struggling.

That's not special. A lot of schools offer weekend hours. Even if only half the class show up, at NYU it's still 100+ people, where as if the school had 80 students it'll be a more manageable 40 people...

---

Most of the counterpoints here sound like they come straight from the NYU's admissions brochure - very generic and could be said about a lot of schools... WITHOUT the hefty price tag.

In any case, I don't really understand why it's so expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not special. A lot of schools offer weekend hours. Even if only half the class show up, at NYU it's still 100+ people, where as if the school had 80 students it'll be a more manageable 40 people...

---

Most of the counterpoints here sound like they come straight from the NYU's admissions brochure - very generic and could be said about a lot of schools... WITHOUT the hefty price tag.

In any case, I don't really understand why it's so expensive.

cuz the cost of living and taxes in manhattan are so expensive? idk if maybe you've never been to the city before and didn't realize but EVERYTHING is more expensive, even down to staples and movies.

i mean to each his/her own. i loved being in a big city, i dont mind big classes, and i loved my experience there, but i can see why it would not be for everyone-just like living in NYC isnt for everyone

I never said it was special, I was just addressing whoever said that it didn't seem possible to get extra help.

cuz the cost of living and taxes in manhattan are so expensive? idk if maybe you've never been to the city before and didn't realize but EVERYTHING is more expensive, even down to staples and movies.

No, I've been to NYC multiple times. I wonder if being in Lower Manhattan accounts for the $40,000 difference in tuition as compared to Columbia in Washington Heights?

Last edited:
No, I've been to NYC multiple times. I wonder if being in Lower Manhattan accounts for the $40,000 difference in tuition as compared to Columbia in Washington Heights?

I imagine they charge so much not out of operational cost, but simply because they can. However, some posters on here offered their reflection of four years at NYU and their impression was pretty favorable. It might be worth it to contact them.

However, from the 4 area schools, I would rank them in the following order from 1 to 4 : Stony Brook, Columbia, NYU and UMDNJ. Now that I am more than halfway done with my education, cost is becoming all the more clear. However, cost is also not the only important consideration. For me, institutional integrity reflects doing right by their students and patients, and NYU seems to be doing a good job there compared to UMDNJ. So despite cost and all other things considered, there's a plus.

very high part 1 pass rates. the only downfall of this school is the price but the education you get is top notch. any current student should tell you the same.

I am not really sure but I heard/read somewhere on this forum that the teachers try to fail the students? Any feedback on that matter? I just had my interview at NYU and the faculty seemed pretty nice to me!!

I imagine they charge so much not out of operational cost, but simply because they can. However, some posters on here offered their reflection of four years at NYU and their impression was pretty favorable. It might be worth it to contact them.

However, from the 4 area schools, I would rank them in the following order from 1 to 4 : Stony Brook, Columbia, NYU and UMDNJ. Now that I am more than halfway done with my education, cost is becoming all the more clear. However, cost is also not the only important consideration. For me, institutional integrity reflects doing right by their students and patients, and NYU seems to be doing a good job there compared to UMDNJ. So despite cost and all other things considered, there's a plus.

Hey, off topic, but I am curious...can you please elaborate more on why you think that UMDNJ is ranked the lowest in your opinion and why NYU seems to be doing a better job than UMDNJ? In what areas do you think UMDNJ is lacking?

I got into both UMDNJ and NYU and I need to make up my mind where to go. This thread has been helpful, more opinions would be appreciated for sure!
I dont know how much cost I should be worried about since I already live here..so it pretty much will come down to only tuition for me. Since am international, will be out of state for UMDNJ anyway...huh!!!! Someone provide some insight please!

UMDNJ is much more affordable if you are in state and cost is important. I'm not looking forward to paying back both the loans my wife and I have taken out.

If you live in the tri-state area though, I'm sure you've read or watched the local news the past few years. Their medicaid and dental school cheating stuff has been hashed through enough on SDN. But the thing that really stuck with me is how the institution treated their own student. Google his name -- it's Paulo Serodio. When you choose an institution, your future is pretty much in their hands. His name stuck with me because they didn't do right by him. I've heard it over and over again from older dentists -- namesake school recognition isn't vital to being a good dentist. However, I would never want my future entrusted to an institution that would treat a student like that.

UMDNJ is much more affordable if you are in state and cost is important. I'm not looking forward to paying back both the loans my wife and I have taken out.

If you live in the tri-state area though, I'm sure you've read or watched the local news the past few years. Their medicaid and dental school cheating stuff has been hashed through enough on SDN. But the thing that really stuck with me is how the institution treated their own student. Google his name -- it's Paulo Serodio. When you choose an institution, your future is pretty much in their hands. His name stuck with me because they didn't do right by him. I've heard it over and over again from older dentists -- namesake school recognition isn't vital to being a good dentist. However, I would never want my future entrusted to an institution that would treat a student like that.

Wow paulo serodio...they really screwed him...and for nothing, incredible. He was born and raised in africa, came to america for college and in that cultural exercise he called himself an african-america, which offended other people. just insane, he was the only person actually from africa!!!

I find it ridiculous with Paulo that his students were the filers for the complaints. I mean seriously . . these are the best and brightest of people and they don't get that someone can be African and American and that that is racist against blacks. Just mind blowing I gotta say.

Hey! Thanks so much for the advice...so I guess in my case (being international and all) tuition is gonna come down to the same amount for both UMDNJ and NYU. Since I already live here...living expenses wont factor into my decision. Am just trying to get an opinion of those two schools...and where I would fit in best. Apart from the cost, I didnt see anything wrong with NYU, I thought their facilities were top notch and if I wanted to do research...I would be in a pretty good place with lots of opportuntiies.