What is your ideal Pharmacy Career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foroneaudience

Foroneaudience
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious as to what everyone wanted to do when they graduated with a PharmD.

Members don't see this ad.

foroneaudience said:
I was just curious as to what everyone wanted to do when they graduated with a PharmD.

retail.

foroneaudience said:
retail in a store that does 150 a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slow 24 hour retail pharmacy with a 7 on 7 off work schedule and unlimited overtime opportunity. The desk must have a bell for customers so that in the back area there's a big screen tv hooked up with a PS3. Also, every pharm tech is a hot 21 year old latina with a butt that goes *POW!* -- the techs must wear Hooters style uniforms.

After 6 months of rotations, I can safely say that I will not do hospital. Sitting in a cubicle looking at physician orders scanned in, then typing them into a computer does not appeal to me. If I wanted to sit on my butt all day I would have stayed a computer programmer.

I've found with retail, I can talk to my patients, help them, and make a difference in their lives. Even when I did clinical pharmacy, all I did was review charts, calculate renal dosing of meds & leave notes for the doctor to change therapy. It was pretty boring. So, I'm most likely going into retail.

dgroulx said:
After 6 months of rotations, I can safely say that I will not do hospital. Sitting in a cubicle looking at physician orders scanned in, then typing them into a computer does not appeal to me. If I wanted to sit on my butt all day I would have stayed a computer programmer.

I've found with retail, I can talk to my patients, help them, and make a difference in their lives. Even when I did clinical pharmacy, all I did was review charts, calculate renal dosing of meds & leave notes for the doctor to change therapy. It was pretty boring. So, I'm most likely going into retail.

I just spent the past 4 years letting my brain rot while doing data entry. I might have a blast doing that kind of hospital work.
redface.gif
redface.gif

My fun meter is pretty low compared to others now. :(

Something that involves no patient contact, no physician contact, hell, no human contact. I want to be an ambulatory care compounding pharmacist in Antarctica or Siberia working 30-on-30-off. Just as long as I get a laptop with internet access. Oh, and I get all WVU home football games off. And a subscription to Direct TV on the job so I can watch all the away games.

If fantasy world doesn't apply, my real answer is mail order or hospital-esque stuff. Retail is evil. Every day some customer makes me want to stab them. At least at a Hospital you can kinda yell at people.

foroneaudience said:
Pediatric Hospital Pharmacy :p

Bless you - seriously - bless you!!!!! That was the hardest gig I've ever done & I know I don't have it in me to do it! I admire all of you who can!

Be careful & never, ever compromise your ethics!

I saw the most awesome Walgreen's pharmacy the other day! However, its only a temporary arrangement until they build the new 24 hr with a drive-thru :( but it would still be amazing to work there. The place was really small (part of a strip mall) just a pharmacy and a waiting/self serve area with only otc meds and basic personal care items. No drive-thru, no Wal-zac (they had their own radio to listen to whatever they wanted!), and no "where's the prune juice? can you get me a bottle through the drive-thru?"

But in reality, 7 on 7 off 3rd shift retail without a drive-thru and with laptop with internet access.

foroneaudience said:
Pediatric Hospital Pharmacy :p

Is there a reason why you've chosen the Pediatric field? I'm interested in it mainly because I want to make a difference at my local Children's hospital but don't know the specifics except for the general info. Thanks!

Pharmcat said:
Is there a reason why you've chosen the Pediatric field? I'm interested in it mainly because I want to make a difference at my local Children's hospital but don't know the specifics except for the general info. Thanks!

I don't know much about the specifics. I plan on doing a rotation in one, just to make sure that's what I want to do and learn what steps I need to do to get there. People have told me that being around sick and injured children would damper my spirits. If I weren’t going to be a pharmacists I think I would be a pediatric doctor…so children are very important to me (sounds corny I know, but I can’t explain it). So we’ll see.

foroneaudience said:

after having worked in the real world, full time, (M-F 7am-4pm) for the last 8 years, i have outgrown the "Save the world" mentality and am looking forward to a job that has good pay and little work.

pharmacy is a rite of passage to a big pay check... LOL J/K :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ChemistI said:
after having worked in the real world, full time, (M-F 7am-4pm) for the last 8 years, i have outgrown the "Save the world" mentality and am looking forward to a job that has good pay and little work.

pharmacy is a rite of passage to a big pay check... LOL J/K :D

I'm not trying to save the world. I'm chosing something that interests me.

WVUPharm2007 said:
Something that involves no patient contact, no physician contact, hell, no human contact. I want to be an ambulatory care compounding pharmacist in Antarctica or Siberia working 30-on-30-off. Just as long as I get a laptop with internet access. Oh, and I get all WVU home football games off. And a subscription to Direct TV on the job so I can watch all the away games.

If fantasy world doesn't apply, my real answer is mail order or hospital-esque stuff. Retail is evil. Every day some customer makes me want to stab them. At least at a Hospital you can kinda yell at people.

In a few years you can get your dream job with Walgreens: at-home script verification pharmacist. Sit on the couch in your shorts, looking at the computer and giving techs DRE's - retype that sig: ZAP! change the doctor: ZAP! days' suppy: ZAP!

foroneaudience said:
I'm not trying to save the world. I'm chosing something that interests me.

TRU

foroneaudience, i wasn't refering to anything you said.

foroneaudience said:
I don't know much about the specifics. I plan on doing a rotation in one, just to make sure that's what I want to do and learn what steps I need to do to get there. People have told me that being around sick and injured children would damper my spirits. If I weren’t going to be a pharmacists I think I would be a pediatric doctor…so children are very important to me (sounds corny I know, but I can’t explain it). So we’ll see.
It doesn't sound corny to me at all. My older daughter has had some chonic medical issues, so we have had several visits to our local children's hospital for tests. Every time I go, I am SO thankful that there are people in this world who want that to be their life's work - it makes so much difference to have medical care that is focused on kids. To me, the people who can handle the screaming children day after day and see the very sick kids - they are angels on earth!

I hope to do a pediatric rotation also, but I don't think I could do it for a career. Before I had children of my own, yes. Now that I have some, no - I find that anything sad or scary about children affects me much more emotionally than it did before.

I am still pre-pharm but I wonder if those more experienced than myself could tell me what a jobs such as those at an outpatient pharmacy of a hospital, or a pharmacy at a primary care clinic, or an indepentdent non-chain pharmacy would be like? Not knowing the details these sound more ideal to me than hospital or retail or mail-order.
please fill me in on what you know. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter said:
In a few years you can get your dream job with Walgreens: at-home script verification pharmacist. Sit on the couch in your shorts, looking at the computer and giving techs DRE's - retype that sig: ZAP! change the doctor: ZAP! days' suppy: ZAP!

Man, I heard that you had to do some obscene number, have they changed the requirements?

KUMoose said:
Man, I heard that you had to do some obscene number, have they changed the requirements?

I dunno about that. I'd imagine that you have to do a lot since there are no other distractions. I also heard you got paid by the number verified, which I don't think is good at all!

WVUPharm2007 said:
Every day some customer makes me want to stab them. At least at a Hospital you can kinda yell at people.

:laugh: Wow, we have alot more in common than I thought....

jedijoe said:
So do I retail is more challenging I think

i believe hospitals are more challenging. while you don't have to deal with insurance companies in the hospital setting...i do believe you compound more drugs in a hospital setting....

In many hospital jobs, all you do is sit on a computer and type orders in all day. That's even worse than retail, because at least in retal you have to recommend stuff to people. If you get a CLINICAL pharmacy position or make IVs all day, then maybe you can legitamately say it is more challenging.

I didn't even mention the whole trying to get insurance cards to work thing. Now THAT can be more challenging than phenytoin dosing. I'm not joking.

surprised nobody said starting up their own pharmacy? :confused:

I know the golden days of mom & pop pharmacies are long gone, but they do still exist.

I'll say it. I want to open my own pharmacy.

But it will be a pharmacy/spa/fitness/nutrician center.

My fantasy will be if I counseled patients and they actually took my advice, for example someone actually started walking around the block a little. Then they felt better. That would be great.

Oh, and in my fantasy, Im wearing a nice suit, and pretty heels, and my feet dont hurt a bit. :)

DownonthePharm said:

My fantasy will be if I counseled patients and they actually took my advice, for example someone actually started walking around the block a little. Then they felt better. That would be great.

Oh, and in my fantasy, Im wearing a nice suit, and pretty heels, and my feet dont hurt a bit. :)

I'll say it too. I want to open my own pharmacy.

But it'll be a pharmacy/restaurant/bar. Our main specialty will be wings and the techs will double as waitresses... so similar to my previous ideal pharmacy career, all of the techs will wear Hooters style uniforms. With every prescription you will be asked "Would you like wings with that?"

DownonthePharm said:

The pharmacy where I work now is a "mom and pop" and it's been around for over 50 years. They are moving to a larger store and in the same store there is a massage therapist and she'll own her own spa.

nice, I think I'm going to have to find a massage therapist to marry. :love:

I'm looking for something with geniune patient interaction, and the chance to actually help, so I'm leaning towards oncology. I know it can be a heck of a downer, but my two friends who survived cancer say that just having someone who knows and understands what they're going through can make all the difference.

Burger Joint - Soda Fountain hang out pharmacy for retirees.

sdn1977 said:
Bless you - seriously - bless you!!!!! That was the hardest gig I've ever done & I know I don't have it in me to do it! I admire all of you who can!

Be careful & never, ever compromise your ethics!

I interned at Childrens Hospital LA for almost 4 years while in School.
What a learning experience.

Carol Taketomo, one of the editors of the Pediatric Dosing Handbook by Lexicomp was my manager. She told me that I would one day make a great manager..as long as I stay away from detail oriented task.

Chris Lomax, the director who hired me gave me the big lesson of my life,
"don't bull**** a bull****ter."

no one is interested in hospital pharmacy management? :sleep:

I'm considering an independent pharmacy with compounding services. But I'm just getting started and that may change as I get a more complete picture of the profession.

twester said:
I'm considering an independent pharmacy with compounding services. But I'm just getting started and that may change as I get a more complete picture of the profession.

We've been compounding at out independent for 2 year, and it's great. The only bad thing is that Doctors don't know much about the therapies. So our pharmacists pretty much write the RX for the doctors...lol :laugh:

Retail Pharmacy in a nice area where everyone is frinedly and treats everyone else with a high level of respect.

i was thinking about opening my own pharmacy in mexico :D

probably get into regulatory affairs in clinical trials.

As of right now, a retail job in a small community would be great in that I would be able know my patients very well. :)

ethyl said:
Slow 24 hour retail pharmacy with a 7 on 7 off work schedule and unlimited overtime opportunity. The desk must have a bell for customers so that in the back area there's a big screen tv hooked up with a PS3. Also, every pharm tech is a hot 21 year old latina with a butt that goes *POW!* -- the techs must wear Hooters style uniforms.

:thumbup: Nice...can I be your wing man, Ethyl?

nutrition support pharmacist

WVUPharm2007 said:

:laugh: Took the words right out of my...keyboard. Except I'm not much of a WVU fan.

And in the hospital, the nurses yell back. And then they talk to your supervisor. If you really piss them off, they plant oxycontin on you. Not quite speaking from experience, but trust me, if you get on a nurse's bad side, they'll make your life hell.

jacketwrestler said:
surprised nobody said starting up their own pharmacy? :confused:

I know the golden days of mom & pop pharmacies are long gone, but they do still exist.

Actually, if I ever do retail--the ONLY way I'll do retail--I'd really love to open my own pharmacy/botanica, with herbal preparations compounded there. I love compounding, probably for the same reason I love cooking and chemistry labs, lol.

nutrition support