What is your Major? Bio, Chem, Music?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadMD1day

Cat Scan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you choose this major?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you choose this major?

double-major in finance and marketing. I chose it before I decided to go into medicine. Business was still conceptually interesting even afterwards, but I just didn't have as much interest in many of my career options. Plus if I end up starting my own practice my business background may help me out.

English. I choose it because it is challenging(its one of those majors where you can make it easy or challenging), I love literature, I love to write, and if I dont go into medicine I would likely go into english secondary education or academia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major- Biochemistry
Minor- History

I picked the major because it seemed like a good way to prepare for medical school, and the minor for the fun of it.

I wanted to be a doctor when I was a kid, but then again I also wanted to be a grocery store bagger, an actor, a meteorologist, an inventor, and an elementary school teacher. In high school we moved from Richmond to Texas, and I watched a television special on the Darlie Routier case in our hotel when we moved. I became really intrigued by the case, and this in turn led to a really deep interest in Forensic Science. After researching the field and looking at more case studies, I decided that I wanted to become a Forensic Scientist and work on solving cases. I was pretty much set on attending VCU because of the outstanding Forensic Science program, and I would be able to move back home. We moved back to Richmond my senior year of high school, though, and so it was a no-brainer to go to VCU (great program, in-state tuition, live at home so no living expenses, half scholarship). After a couple of years in the program and more exposure to the actual field, I started to really hate the idea of being in a lab for the next 40 years of my life with a nose down a microscope. I became frustrated with school because I felt like I was locked into a career that I didn't want to pursue any longer. I was offered a full-time position that could have very well led to a lifelong career in business, and I even contemplated taking a year off of school to pursue that. Eventually, through talking with family and friends (and a LOT of introspection), I rediscovered my childhood dream of becoming a doctor. At first I was only interested in Forensic Pathology, as my degree would be in Forensic Science. But as I became more exposed to medicine and saw firsthand what practicing medicine on [live] patients was like, I knew I had found my calling. I am now interested in many specialties -- I think that Pathology is very interesting, but I don't know if it's something I could for the rest of my life.

Phew, that was long-winded, eh?

I wanted to be a doctor when I was a kid, but then again I also wanted to be a grocery store bagger, an actor, a meteorologist, an inventor, and an elementary school teacher. In high school we moved from Richmond to Texas, and I watched a television special on the Darlie Routier case in our hotel when we moved. I became really intrigued by the case, and this in turn led to a really deep interest in Forensic Science. After researching the field and looking at more case studies, I decided that I wanted to become a Forensic Scientist and work on solving cases. I was pretty much set on attending VCU because of the outstanding Forensic Science program, and I would be able to move back home. We moved back to Richmond my senior year of high school, though, and so it was a no-brainer to go to VCU (great program, in-state tuition, live at home so no living expenses, half scholarship). After a couple of years in the program and more exposure to the actual field, I started to really hate the idea of being in a lab for the next 40 years of my life with a nose down a microscope. I became frustrated with school because I felt like I was locked into a career that I didn't want to pursue any longer. I was offered a full-time position that could have very well led to a lifelong career in business, and I even contemplated taking a year off of school to pursue that. Eventually, through talking with family and friends (and a LOT of introspection), I rediscovered my childhood dream of becoming a doctor. At first I was only interested in Forensic Pathology, as my degree would be in Forensic Science. But as I became more exposed to medicine and saw firsthand what practicing medicine on [live] patients was like, I knew I had found my calling. I am now interested in many specialties -- I think that Pathology is very interesting, but I don't know if it's something I could for the rest of my life.

Phew, that was long-winded, eh?

tl;dr

I'm majoring in music, I chose it because I was good at it, and I thought I wanted to teach. My original major was music education, but I decided I really didn't have any desire to musically educate middle/high school kids. The deeper I got into the music stuff the more I felt the health field was where I wanted to go, so here I am.

I haven't officially changed my degree plan yet, but eventually I'll be just a BA in music, because I still love playing and performing, but just a little research will show you that very few people can make a career out of that, and on top of that I'm not really sure I want that lifestyle.

So yea...that's about it...

wow theres a lot more non science majors than I thought. personally I'm a biochem major with poli sci minor =)

Physics. I chose this major because I love it and am good at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majors: 1. Respiratory therapy (completing a distance ed bachelors in it through the Univ. of Kansas; have an AS in it);
2. Psychology
3. German

Reasons: 1. Easy and I was part of the way done with the degree so why the hell not.....
2. It interests me.
3. It interests me because of my family's origins and because of my interest in military history.

chemistry. because i had an amazing prof sophomore year who inspired me in his passion for organic synthesis.

General studies because I was an accounting major first and then a psych major. General studies is the only one that will get me graduated on time w. the pre reqs.

Primary Major: Biology
Dual Major: Psychology

major: history
minor: chemistry

why? because it's interesting, and I'm always searching for a better understanding of our world. chemistry just kind of fit the bill for a minor.

Stereotypical biochemistry here...(for now, I'm only freshman)

Because everything all such as history and English, to me would have been tooooo hard. Biochem at least it study-able, while History and English is a lot of thinking without knowing there is a "right" answer, more true with English than with History but still.

Biochemistry: I was good at it, placed out of Gen Chem with AP credits, and was planning on doing Pharmacy school or Pharm Patent Law. It was interesting and I enjoyed it. :thumbup: Glad I did it, b/c now I know **** about quantum mechanics. :D

Major: Microbiology and Immunology
Minor: Chemistry

I'm majoring in music, I chose it because I was good at it, and I thought I wanted to teach. My original major was music education, but I decided I really didn't have any desire to musically educate middle/high school kids. The deeper I got into the music stuff the more I felt the health field was where I wanted to go, so here I am.

I haven't officially changed my degree plan yet, but eventually I'll be just a BA in music, because I still love playing and performing, but just a little research will show you that very few people can make a career out of that, and on top of that I'm not really sure I want that lifestyle.

So yea...that's about it...

Same here.

i studied biomedical engineering. i couldn't decide between a straight mathematics major and a straight chemistry or biochemistry major. i decided to go with some combination of the two, and i have been very happy with it. side note: i've been out of school for 2 years, working in clinical research but still using my degree a ton.

Major: Construction Management
Minors: Business Management and Chemistry

I chose CM because I was good at it and I've always enjoyed the construction industry. Just curious if anybody knows anybody who is or was a CM major and is or is going into medicine. I have yet to meet one.

I have two:
1. Bio - because it's fascinating and I love it. :love:
2. German - I'm really good at it :)cool:) and I've just fallen in love with German culture.

Biochemistry through the Ag College....because I got the best of both worlds in chem and bio, met all my requirements for the med schools, and was able to use Animal Management, Adv. Techniques in Repro. Phys., etc. to meet my electives. :)

Psychology, because i have diverse interests in it(stuff like abnormal and psychometrics).

Major in biochemistry, minor in a very, very specific branch of sociology (there aren't a lot of schools with the program, so I don't specify to protect anonymity). I also have moot minors by default in biology and chemistry.

I chose biochemistry because of a science project I did in high school over pesticides and neurological inhibition... initiating a somewhat unhealthy love of enzymes. The two science minors where pretty much minors that I already had or needed one more course to obtain.
The sociology minor was something I chose early on freshman year because I was intrigued by the sociological theory, and even more the application to this particular subset of the population.

Philosophy, because it is the best major.