What is your opinion on farting in clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord of the Ear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it acceptable as a clinical audiologist? Will it linger in the sound booth?

Members don't see this ad.

QUESTION: Is farting inside the testing booth acceptable?

ANSWER: YES. Flatulating, whether inside or outside the booth, is not only acceptable but is encouraged. Short of defecating in one's trousers, it is unreasonable to expect the clinician to "hold it in" for an indefinite period of time. Noise should be minimized by exercizing control of the anal sphincter

HOWEVER: Flatulating inside the patient's partition of the booth should be avoided. The noxious air passed by the clinician could become unbearable if the clinician forgets to turn on the ambient air exchanger inside the booth, a common occurance.

CRITICAL THINKING: How do you think farting inside the patient's partition of the booth may cause temporary hearing threshold shifts?

:prof:

Members don't see this ad :)
It does linger. My patients do it all the time. I try to refrain. :)

this should be included in all clinic manuals, under the section of "Proper flatulence procedure in clinic: Do's and Don'ts"

QUESTION: Is farting inside the testing booth acceptable?

ANSWER: YES. Flatulating, whether inside or outside the booth, is not only acceptable but is encouraged. Short of defecating in one's trousers, it is unreasonable to expect the clinician to "hold it in" for an indefinite period of time. Noise should be minimized by exercizing control of the anal sphincter

HOWEVER: Flatulating inside the patient's partition of the booth should be avoided. The noxious air passed by the clinician could become unbearable if the clinician forgets to turn on the ambient air exchanger inside the booth, a common occurance.

CRITICAL THINKING: How do you think farting inside the patient's partition of the booth may cause temporary hearing threshold shifts?

:prof:

:wtf::barf::barf:

It will linger for at least 5 minutes and I'm not joking. My friend farted inside a booth and it smelled for awhile. Ew